Two Short Questions Homework Help

• Thread starter StopWatch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, the conversation discusses two separate homework questions - one involving evaluating a complicated expression and the other involving exponential growth of bacteria population. The first question involves using logarithmic differentiation and the correct answer is 2^10(1 + ln2)(1 + 2ln2). The second question asks to find the time when the bacteria population will reach 1800, and the correct answer is ln3/ln2. The conversation also includes a discussion about log laws and the use of ln in solving exponential growth problems.
StopWatch

Homework Statement

The first:

I was asked to evaluate (x^x)^(x^x) at f'(2). I tried to use logarithmic differentiation and ended up with a really messy left hand side of y's and y', while the right hand side was 1 + lnx + 1 + lnx. The right answer however is apparently 2^10(1 + ln2)(1 + 2ln2) and I'm not sure where I made my mistake.

The Second:

At noon, a bacteria culture has 200 bacteria. At 1 p.m., the bacteria population has grown to 800. I have to find the time where the population is 1800 assuming exponential growth.

Homework Equations

The First: The relevant equations are above.

The Second: I know m(t) = m(0)e^kt, so I have 800 = 200e^k1 but when I take the ln of both sides and solve for k (I got ln4) I end up with 1800 = 200e^ln4(t), which doesn't give me ln3/ln2 (the purported correct answer).

I'm sure I'm just missing something very simple in both of these questions, but I really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
StopWatch said:

Homework Statement

The first:

I was asked to evaluate (x^x)^(x^x) at f'(2). I tried to use logarithmic differentiation and ended up with a really messy left hand side of y's and y', while the right hand side was 1 + lnx + 1 + lnx. The right answer however is apparently 2^10(1 + ln2)(1 + 2ln2) and I'm not sure where I made my mistake.

You're going to have to show your work here, and then we can see what happened. I did get the answer you stated.

StopWatch said:
The Second:

At noon, a bacteria culture has 200 bacteria. At 1 p.m., the bacteria population has grown to 800. I have to find the time where the population is 1800 assuming exponential growth.

Homework Equations

The First: The relevant equations are above.

The Second: I know m(t) = m(0)e^kt, so I have 800 = 200e^k1 but when I take the ln of both sides and solve for k (I got ln4) I end up with 1800 = 200e^ln4(t), which doesn't give me ln3/ln2 (the purported correct answer).

I'm sure I'm just missing something very simple in both of these questions, but I really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

On this one I didn't get the answer you stated, so maybe there was a typo somewhere?

For the first one I took the natural log twice basically: ln(ln(y)) = ln((x^x)ln((x^x)))

and then on the right hand side I took ln ( (x^x)(lnx^x) ) and expanded it using log laws (I should note I used log laws to bring x^x down in the first step, as you probably noticed) to ln(x^x) + ln(ln(x^x))

Then differentiating the left hand side gets pretty messy, and the right hand side is xlnx + ln(xlnx) =

(lnx + 1) + (lnx + 1)/xlnx = ans

so, 1/y 1/lny y' = ans

I have no idea though how the 2^10 comes up.

I'll post the original statement for the second one:

At noon, a bacteria culture has 200 bacteria. At 1 p.m., the bacteria population has grown to 800. Assuming exponential growth, when will the bacteria population be 1800?

StopWatch said:
For the first one I took the natural log twice basically: ln(ln(y)) = ln((x^x)ln((x^x)))

and then on the right hand side I took ln ( (x^x)(lnx^x) ) and expanded it using log laws (I should note I used log laws to bring x^x down in the first step, as you probably noticed) to ln(x^x) + ln(ln(x^x))

Then differentiating the left hand side gets pretty messy, and the right hand side is xlnx + ln(xlnx) =

(lnx + 1) + (lnx + 1)/xlnx = ans

so, 1/y 1/lny y' = ans

You're not done yet. If I understand you correctly, since you have two expressions equaling "ans", you have
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{y}\right)\left(\frac{1}{\ln y}\right)y' = \ln x + 1 + \frac{\ln x + 1}{x\ln x}[/tex]
which looks right to me. Now you have to solve for y'. Multiply both sides by y ln y, but on the right side, you're actually multiplying by
[tex]\left( x^x \right)^{x^x} \cdot x^x \ln x^x[/tex]
because that's what y ln y equals. (You may want to simplify the above before multiplying.)

Once you do that, then you substitute in 2 for x, because you're asked to find f'(2).

StopWatch said:
I'll post the original statement for the second one:

At noon, a bacteria culture has 200 bacteria. At 1 p.m., the bacteria population has grown to 800. Assuming exponential growth, when will the bacteria population be 1800?
No, I'm wondering if the answer itself (ln 3 / ln 2) is a typo, assuming you got it from the back of the textbook or the solutions manual.

I don't think it's likely that it's a mistake only because it's the answer to a question from a past exam. Other answers are: 1:30 pm, ln5/ln3, ln5/ln2 and ln(5/2). Quick question at a lower level: Are ln5/ln2 and ln(5/2) not the same thing by log laws? Could both consequently be written ln5 - ln2?

I was wondering the same thing regarding e in some of these growth questions. I end up with something like (2500e)^k and so I'll take the ln, and have k ln(2500) because I vaguely understand that lne = 1 and so it cancels. What I don't understand fully I think is why it can't become ln2500 + lne, by log laws, and consequently ln2500 + 1. Otherwise it feels to me like I'm allowing ln(2500e) to become ln(2500) ln(e), which isn't a law to my understanding. I appreciate your help so far by the way.

StopWatch said:
I don't think it's likely that it's a mistake only because it's the answer to a question from a past exam. Other answers are: 1:30 pm, ln5/ln3, ln5/ln2 and ln(5/2). Quick question at a lower level: Are ln5/ln2 and ln(5/2) not the same thing by log laws? Could both consequently be written ln5 - ln2?
No, no. Only
[tex]\ln \left( \frac{5}{2} \right) = \ln 5 - \ln 2[/tex]
StopWatch said:
I was wondering the same thing regarding e in some of these growth questions. I end up with something like (2500e)^k and so I'll take the ln, and have k ln(2500) because I vaguely understand that lne = 1 and so it cancels. What I don't understand fully I think is why it can't become ln2500 + lne, by log laws, and consequently ln2500 + 1. Otherwise it feels to me like I'm allowing ln(2500e) to become ln(2500) ln(e), which isn't a law to my understanding. I appreciate your help so far by the way.

I don't think you're getting these right. Also what is your original expression,
(2500e)k
or
2500ek?
Because they are two different expressions.

If you meant the first, then when you take the log, you get
[tex]\ln (2500e)^k = k(\ln 2500 + 1)[/tex]
... but if you mean the second, then when you take the log, you get
[tex]\ln 2500e^k = \ln 2500 + k[/tex]

That's, right, I completely forgot about that rule. I should go back and look at the proofs to really engrave it in my mind. Thanks!

1. What is "Two Short Questions Homework Help"?

"Two Short Questions Homework Help" is a service where students can submit two short questions related to any subject and receive assistance in finding the answers.

2. How does "Two Short Questions Homework Help" work?

First, the student submits their two short questions through the designated platform. Then, a team of experts will review the questions and provide a detailed explanation or solution within a given time frame.

3. Is "Two Short Questions Homework Help" a free service?

No, "Two Short Questions Homework Help" is not a free service. Students will be required to pay a fee for each question they submit.

4. Who are the experts providing assistance on "Two Short Questions Homework Help"?

The experts on "Two Short Questions Homework Help" are highly qualified individuals with extensive knowledge in various subjects. They have experience in providing academic support and are dedicated to helping students succeed.

5. How long does it take to receive an answer for my questions?

The time it takes to receive an answer may vary depending on the complexity of the questions and the availability of experts. However, students can expect to receive a response within a few hours to a day.