1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two similiar determinant questions

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

QUESTION 1:

Suppose A is a 3x3 matrix such that det(A) = 1/3.

Then det[A^3((adj(A))^-1)^2)] =
    and det[3A^-1(adj(A))] =

and

QUESTION 2:

Let A and B be 3x3 invertible matrices where det(A) = 2 and det(B) = -8

Then det[A^T(adj(B))] =
    and det[A^-1(adj(B))] =

3. The attempt at a solution

QUESTION 1:

For the first blank I got the correct solution but I don't know if that was just by chance. I said A^3 = 1/27 * the inverse of the adj(A) squared. I found the inverse of the adj(A) to be 3. so 1/27 * 3 * 3 = 3 which was correct.

For the second blank I said 3A^-1 is equal to 81 (because I believe you have to raise 3 to the power of the dimension of the matrix?). Then inside the brackets I tried to do the adj(A), which if I'm not mistaken is equal to det(A)*A^-1. det(A) = 1/3, which I then raised to the power of 3 as well, and multiplied by A^-1, which is 3. So all in all I had 81(1/27*3) which was not correct. Any help?

QUESTION 2:

For the first blank I said 2((-8^3)*(-1/8)) using the same logic as above and arrived at 128. (This may actually be correct as I haven't checked but I only have one attempt left and I want to be sure it's correct).

The second blank I did the same but with 1/2 on the outside as opposed to 2, and arrived at 32.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted