Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two simple questions in topology.

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    just want to see if i got these:
    1.let U be open in X and A closed in X then U-A is open in X and A-U is closed in X.
    2. if A is closed in X and B is closed in Y then AxB is closed in XxY.

my proof:
    A'=X-A which is open in X
    X-(A-U)=Xn(A'U U)=A'U(U) but this is a union of open sets and thus it's open thus:
    A-U is closed.
    U'=X-U which is closed in X
    but this is an intersection of closed sets and thus it's also closed.
    which means that U-A is open.

let's look at:
    now X-A is open in X and Y is open in Y so (X-A)xY is open in XxY the same for Xx(Y-B) so we have here that it equals an arbitrary union of open sets so it's also an open set, thus AxB.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The only problem I see is that for question 2, you're leaving the reader to fill in some blanks like how you're going to solve the problem and the conclusion.

Start like this...

I will show that AxB is closed in XxY by showing XxY-AxB is open in XxY.

See what I'm saying?

I hate writing proofs and I suck at writing them, but I do know how to write them properly if I really really had to.
  4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    those are minute details, and usually in exams i do write the proofs properly, this is only a few questions from munkres (the easy ones) that im solving for myself.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?