1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two sinusoidal waves travel in the same direction

1. Feb 17, 2007 #1
    Two sinusoidal waves travel in the same direction and have the same frequency. Thier amplitudes are Y1 and Y2. The smallest possible amplitude of the resultant wave is:
    a) Y1+Y2 and occurs if they are 180 degrees out of phase
    b) [Y1-Y2] and occurs if they are 180 degrees out of phase
    c) Y1 + Y2 and occurs if they are in phase
    d) [y1-Y2] and occurs if they are in phase
    e) [Y1-Y2] and occurs if they are 90 out of phase.

I think the answer would be A if Y1 +Y2 and they are 180 degrees out of phase. I choose the answer based on the fact that superposition is based on the Y1 +Y2= resultant. So if the waves were out of phase they would produce the smallest resultant because the other is the complete reverse of the other. I thinking deconstruction.

Two identical waves but separate string, with the same tension carry sinusoidal waves with the same frequency. Wave A has an amplitude that is twice that of wave B and transmits energy at a rate that is _____ that of wave B.
    a) half
    b) twice
    c) one-fourth
    d) four times
    e) eight times

iI thought the answer would be B because the amount of energy carried by a wave is related to the amplitude of the wave. A high energy wave is characterized by a high amplitude; a low energy wave is characterized by a low amplitude. The amplitude of a wave refers to the maximum amount of displacement of a a particle on the medium from its rest position. The energy imparted to a pulse will only effect the amplitude of that pulse.

Help is appreciated
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted