1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-slit interference

1. May 3, 2009 #1
    SOLVED

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A two-slit interference set-up with slit separation d =0.30 mm produces interference fringes at a particular set of angles THETAm (where m = 0, 1, 2,) for red light of frequency f = 4.9×10^14 hz.

If one wishes to construct an analogous two-slit interference set-up that produces interference fringes at the same set of angles THETAm for room-temperature sound of middle-C frequency f = 262 hz, what should the slit separation distance be for this analogous set-up?
    this particular problems answer is 640 but i cant seem to arrive at that
    2. Relevant equations
    sin(theta)= m(wavelength)/d

3. The attempt at a solution
    i believe sin(theta) is equalin both, so i dont see why it wouldnt come down to wavelenth/d is proprotional to wavelenth/d, or converting to frequency 1/fd = 1/fd or fd=fd.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2009 #2
    You know [tex]\lambda = v/f[/tex], but they both have different velocities so you can't use fd = fd.

4. May 3, 2009 #3
    arent their velocities equal at c, being the speed of light?

5. May 3, 2009 #4
    Sound doesn't travel at the speed of light. At least not where I live at.

6. May 3, 2009 #5
    oh that is quite true, shouldnt have overlooked that, so i can now say the formula is
    c/fd = 343/fd?

edit: yes i can, thanks alot nickjer, i got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook