Why Does My Outlook Express Fail to Connect and My PC Require DEL to Boot?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the speaker is experiencing two small computer problems on their Dell Dimension desktop after reformatting and reinstalling Windows ME. The first problem is with Outlook Express not connecting to the mail server, while the second problem involves the computer displaying a "Hit <DEL> to continue" message before booting up. The speaker has tried troubleshooting by checking network settings and disabling BIOS settings, but the problems persist. They have also solved the email problem by correcting the incoming mail port. However, they are still seeking help for the BIOS issue and suggest getting rid of Windows ME. Another person recommends removing all power, including the CMOS battery, to potentially fix the issue.
aychamo
Two small computer problems :)

Hey guys, I'm having two small computer problems.

They are on a 1.6(ish... I can't remember)ghz Dell Dimension desktop. I just reformated after a long time and reinstalled Windows ME.

First problem is that my outlook express is not resolving (or finding, or whatever) my mail servers host name. I know for sure that it is mail.cox-internet.com, but it can't find it. It is weird, because on my same network my laptop can access the mail server (exact same settings in outlook express) perfectly, but the desktop wont. Can this be some network protocol setting or something? The web, etc, works fine, just the mail server won't connect.

This second problem is a really annoying one. This happened when I FDISKed my partion and reformated. When my computer reboots, it does the BIOS stuff and then shows the primary disk, 2ndary disk thing, then my CD ROM drive, and then it says "Hit <DEL> to continue" and when I hit DEL it goes on and boots up windows. It *never* displays an error, it just wants me to hit DEL for fun apparently. Maybe it's because the computer is a dell? :). I'm assuming this has somehting to do with that I FDISKed my computer. It boots up fine, just with that small problem.

I would really appreciate some help with this, it's just a few small hitches I'm dealing with, nothing big :) Thank you in advance,

AYCHAMO

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hey, I just wanted to add some information to my problems. For the first one, I can even go to a command prompt and ping my mail server and it works fine, but when I use OutlookExpress to connect, it just gets stuck at "Resolving Host." It can't find it in that program. I don't have a firewall on either (yet.. :))

With the second problem, I do have QuickBoot and QuietBoot turned on in BIOS. I've also turned them both off and it still does the "Hit <DEL> to Resume."

What it seems to do, is it shows me the first two fixed disks, then my cdrom drive. Like, it shows all my drives and then wants me to hit DEL then it continues to boot. What coudl cause this?

Hey guys! I just wanted to update that I solved the problem regarding the email problem. When I imported my outlook express server settings, it set my incoming mail port at like 38455 or something instead of the normal 110. I changed that and it works fine now :)

But I still have the BIOS problem :( May anyone offer a suggestion?

I'm not real sure about that one, it is kinda odd. I'd look into the bios settings and see if you see anything about pausing it like that. Have you contacted customer support? Perhaps they can explain, proprietary companys have been known to do some strange things.

Anyhow, best I can tell you've still got two problems, Dell and windows ME. :)

Regarding the second problem;
I have experienced something similar (with a Dell, too). I played around with more BIOS settings then I care to remember. When I finally gave up I removed all power, including the CMOS battery. Afterward the problem was gone.

Good luck !

In all serious, get rid of windows ME. Its nothing but bad news

What are the common causes of computer problems?

The most common causes of computer problems include malware or viruses, hardware failure, software conflicts, outdated drivers, and overheating.

How can I troubleshoot a slow computer?

To troubleshoot a slow computer, you can try clearing temporary files, running a virus scan, updating drivers and software, freeing up disk space, and checking for any hardware issues.

Why is my computer not turning on?

There could be several reasons why a computer is not turning on, such as a faulty power supply, loose cables, or a dead battery. It is best to check all of these components before seeking further assistance.

How often should I update my computer?

It is recommended to update your computer at least once a month to ensure that your operating system and software are up to date with the latest security patches and bug fixes.

What should I do if my computer crashes or freezes?

If your computer crashes or freezes, try restarting it first. If the issue persists, you can try running a virus scan, updating drivers and software, and checking for any hardware issues. If the problem continues, it is best to seek professional help.