1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two speakers

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]
    (if image doesn't show up...it is a right angle triangle with S1 at the right angle, 4m between it and O and 3m between S1 and S2)

The two speakers at S1 and S2 are adjusted so that the observer at O hears an intensity of 4 W/m2 when either S1 or S2 is sounded alone. They are driven in phase (at the speakers) with various frequencies of sound. Assume that the speed of sound is 325 m/s.

a) Find the three lowest frequencies, f1 < f2 < f3, for which the observer at O will hear an intensity of 16 W/m2 when both speakers are on.

b) Find the three lowest frequencies, f1 < f2 < f3 , for which the observer at O will hear no sound when both speakers are on.

c) Find the lowest frequency for which the observer at O will hear an intensity of 8 W/m2 when both speakers are on.

d) Find the lowest frequency for which the observer at O will hear an intensity of 4 W/m2 when both speakers are on.

2. Relevant equations
    I think these...
    f=v/[tex]\lambda[/tex]
    Intensity= energy/tA
    I also need to figure out the phase difference but not sure what formula

3. The attempt at a solution
    so far I know that I need to find the path length difference between the two speakers to the observer...which is 1m. From that I need to find the phase difference which will give me the intensity. How to do this I am clueless on. Then I need to find the wave length from the difference between the two and from that I can find the frequency. (at least this is what I am thinking...but its not working! and I can't figure out the phase difference)

Any help appreciated!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted