1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Spheres coming together

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical 28.5-kg spheres of radius 12.1 cm are 35.3 cm apart (center-to-center distance) and at rest in outer space. (You can assume that the only force acting on each mass is the gravitational force due to the other mass.)

a) If they are released from rest and allowed to fall toward one another, what is their speed when they first make contact?

2. Relevant equations
    ΔE=ΔK+ΔU=0
    K=.5mv^2
    U=-Gm1m2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well ΔK would equal
    [itex] M*v_i ^2-M*v_f ^2 [/itex] (because both are moving the 1/2's cancel out)
    and ΔU is
    [itex] -Gm_1 m_2 / r_i - (-Gm_1 m_2 / r_f) [/itex]

So solved for v I get
    [itex] v= sqrt(-G m_2 / r_1 + G m_2 / r_2)[/itex]
    which came out to be 6.131*10^-5 m/s which isn't right... I don't see where I went wrong/

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can not see either, if you do not show your work in detail. What have you used for r1 and r2?

ehild

4. Nov 16, 2013 #3
    For r1 I have .121+.353+.121 which is .595 m
    for r2, it's just .242 m

5. Nov 16, 2013 #4
    your value for r1 should just be .353 (like point masses) and you're correct that r2 is .242 (distance between centers of mass at collision). The spheres will not have much velocity, as gravity is a very weak force, so it shouldn't be surprising that the value is relatively small

6. Nov 16, 2013 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The center-to center distance was given as 0.353 m , so r1=0.353.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted