1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two spheres having masses M (sphere 1) and 2M (sphere 2) and radii R and 2R, respectively, are relea

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two spheres having masses M (sphere 1) and 2M (sphere 2) and radii R and 2R, respectively, are released from rest when the distance between their centers is 8R.
    How fast will sphere 1 be moving when they collide? Assume that the two spheres interact only with each other. Enter your answer in units of sqrt(GM/R).
    How fast will sphere 2 be moving when they collide? Enter your answer in units of sqrt(GM/R)
    2. Relevant equations
    -Gmm/r
    (mv^2)/2
    m1v1 + m2v2 = 0 since starts at rest

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay.
    So what I did was I first calculated initial PE and Final PE. I then calculated the change in PE which turned out to be -5GM^2/12R
    Then, I equated it to deltaKE = -deltaPE which i got as (Mv1^2)/2 + (2Mv2^2)/2 = 5GM/12R.
    I used conservation of momentum to find out the ratio of V1 to V2 which was V2 = -1/2(V1)
    After that I substituted that to the equation above and solved for V1 as 20GM/36R.
    But it says it is wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please show your working for the change in potential energy.

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3
    PEi = GM2M/8R = -GM^2/4R and PEf = GM2M/3R = -2GM^2/3R

delta PE = Final - initial

make them so that they have common base which is -8GM^2/12R + 3GM^2/12R

5. Nov 17, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK I see ... so for conservaton of energy and momentum respectively you got:

$$v_1^2 + 4v_2^2 = \frac{10}{12}\frac{GM}{R}\\
    v_1 + 2v_2 = 0$$ ... after dividing through by M in both equations and multiplying through by 2 in the top one.
    That about right?

After that it is solved by simultaneous equations.
    ... your reasoning seems sound, so you need to check your algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted