1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two spheres with given potential, what's their charge?

1. Apr 18, 2007 #1
    Hi
    This shouldn't be very difficult: I have two spheres (made of Cu -> conductors) with given radius a (both), the distance of their centers is h. Now I know that the potential on the first sphere is zero and on the other 1000 Volts (the potential at infinity is zero).
    I must determine the force that pulls the spheres together (or apart).

I think that what I must find is the charge of each of the spheres, then the force is easy via Coulomb's law. I also think that the charge on the spheres should be like:

Q = CU

where Q is vector of charges, C is 2x2 matrix of coefficients Cij and U is a vector of potentials on the spheres (0V and 1000V in this case). The Cij coefficients should be given by the geometry of the problem, but I don't know how tu determine them. But perhaps I am completely wrong.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks a lot. It's pretty urgent, btw:-)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted