1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Spherical Capacitors - Pleas Help Friends!

1. Feb 20, 2005 #1
    Hello Everybody, I am new to this site, However I have a quick question about the two spherical capacitors.

Please take a look at this link here:

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/phys112/summer04/tmau.pl?04/05

This is a problem about two spherical capacitors and I believe they are in series, If anyone could please help me out!

If you need any more clarification please let me know!

Thank You very Much!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

To calculate the capacitances, put a charge +Q on the inner sphere and -Q on the outer and find the voltage difference that results. Then C=Q/V, and this can be used in the usual way to get the answers to the second part.

4. Feb 20, 2005 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is you question? Please show us something of what you have done. Yes the caps are in series.

5. Feb 20, 2005 #4
    Two Capacitors

Hello all,

I have the found the capacitance of the spheres by using

(4*pi*Epsilon(0)*a*b)/(b-a) where a & b are in meters, for the first one and for the second capacitance i used the above formula and multiplied it by the k!

All I need help is, is with finding the charge Q on the inner and and the outer surface, All I could possibly think about it is that it they are in series!

Thanks
    Please Help!

6. Feb 20, 2005 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good.

Two hints:
    In going around the circuit, what must the voltages add to?
    Since the inner conductors are connected, what must be their total charge?

7. Apr 11, 2010 #6
    Is it actually possible? The inner shell wouldn't feel a thing of the outer applied voltage, would it? (being a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?