Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Two SR Questions

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In frame S , particle 1 is at rest and particle 2 is moving to the right with velocity v.
    Consider frame S ′ , moving relative to S , with speed u. Find the value of u such that
    the two particles appear in S ′ to be approaching each other with equal but opposite
    velocities.

I don't see here how you can get the particles to approach each other.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the range of speeds for a particle of mass m in which the classical relation
    for kinetic energy is within 1% of the correct relativistic value.

For this can I use K/T = 0.01 and solve for the velocity of the mass, where K is newtonian KE and T is relativistic KE?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    What equations do you think you should use on the first question? You're kind of close on the second part, but you want the difference in K and T to be 0.01 of the relativisitic..

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    The velocity transforms could be used for the first question. Can I just set the S' frame velocity to -1/2v or -v (not sure here) then solve for the frame speed u given that the S frame speed is v?

Thanks, I'll work on the second one.

5. Jul 29, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be careful! If v=c then there is no such frame. So the answer clearly isn't c/2. You have to use the relativistic formula for velocity addition.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook