1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two SR Questions

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In frame S , particle 1 is at rest and particle 2 is moving to the right with velocity v.
    Consider frame S ′ , moving relative to S , with speed u. Find the value of u such that
    the two particles appear in S ′ to be approaching each other with equal but opposite
    velocities.

I don't see here how you can get the particles to approach each other.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the range of speeds for a particle of mass m in which the classical relation
    for kinetic energy is within 1% of the correct relativistic value.

For this can I use K/T = 0.01 and solve for the velocity of the mass, where K is newtonian KE and T is relativistic KE?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    What equations do you think you should use on the first question? You're kind of close on the second part, but you want the difference in K and T to be 0.01 of the relativisitic..

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    The velocity transforms could be used for the first question. Can I just set the S' frame velocity to -1/2v or -v (not sure here) then solve for the frame speed u given that the S frame speed is v?

Thanks, I'll work on the second one.

5. Jul 29, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be careful! If v=c then there is no such frame. So the answer clearly isn't c/2. You have to use the relativistic formula for velocity addition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?