1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-state electronic paramagnet (DPPH). Calculate total Energy

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You have an ideal two-state paramagnet (DPPH) with mu=mu_B (bohr magneton). There is a magnetic field of strength 2.06T, and the minimum temperature was 2.2k. Calculate the total energy of the system as a fraction of its maximum possible value.

2. Relevant equations
    from the book: U=-NμBtanh(μB/kT)

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is the only equation I have. First of all, I have searched and Searched, there is no way to determine N (number of spin state electrons), so how could I possibly determine the total energy? Second, how do you determine the maximum energy? I've tried taking derivatives of the function, but derivatives in terms of what? Temperature? If so, not even Maple can solve for Temperature. I am so lost! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted