Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two state system probabilities

1. Aug 13, 2015 #1
    I started to study statistical physics from a book, and it starts with basics about statistics and probabilities (which are things mostly new for me).
    In the book there is the following statement:

"The simplest non-trivial system which we can investigate using probability theory is one for which there are only two possible outcomes. There would obviously be little point in investigating a one outcome system. Let us suppose that there are two possible outcomes to an observation made on some system S. Let us denote these outcomes 1 and 2, and let their probabilities of occurrence be
    P(1) = p,
    P(2) = q.
    It follows immediately from the normalization condition that
    p + q = 1,
    so q = 1 − p.
    The probability of obtaining n1 occurrences of the outcome 1 in N observations is given by
    PN(n1) = CN (n1,N−n1) p^(n1) q^(N−n1), (2.16) where CN (n1,N−n1) is the number of ways of arranging two distinct sets of n1 and N − n1 indistinguishable objects."

I'm familiar with combinatorics, so I find it obvious that their CN (n1,N−n1) is Cn1 N.
    But I'm very curious how this can be proved. They give an example, but not a general demonstration. I've thought about it, but I couldn't do the demonstration. Can someone help me with it.
    I must mention: it is not homework, it is just for my personal knowledge.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could prove it by induction. Have you come across mathematical induction?

4. Aug 13, 2015 #3
    Yes, I know about mathematical induction, but I was never good at using it. After your reply, I tried to it, but with no success.
    First of all I tried to verify for 0, but it didn't verify, same for 1. I might miss something because I'm very tired.

5. Aug 13, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you're tired, why not take a fresh look at it tomorrow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook