1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two step (spherical) square well potential

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just need some rough guidance on this one, nothing specific is really needed. The problem:

Given a spherically symmetric potential (V(r))
    [tex]
    V\left( r \right) = \left\{\begin{gathered}
    V_0 \hfill \hspace{2}r<a \\
    0 \qquad a<r<b \\
    \infty \hfill r>b \\
    \end{gathered} \right
    [/tex]

Find the energies for the ground state and the first excited state. Also find an (approximate) expression for the energy splitting of the levels if [itex]V_0[/itex] is very large compared to these energy levels.

2. Relevant equations

Must use spherical Bessel and Neumann functions.

3. The attempt at a solution

The wavefunctions:

[tex]\mathcal{U}_I(r)=A_rJ_{\ell}(k_1r)[/tex]
    [tex]\mathcal{U}_{II}(r)=C_rJ_{\ell}(k_2r)+D_r n_{\ell}(k_2r)[/tex]
    [tex]\mathcal{U}_{III}(r)=0[/tex]

[tex]k_I=\frac{\sqrt{2m(V_0-E)}}{\hbar}[/tex]

[tex]k_{II}=\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}[/tex]

where the spherical Neumann function ([tex]n_{\ell}[/tex]) goes away in the first function since it is singular at the origin.

At this point work with the following boundary conditions:

[tex]\mathcal{U}_I(a)=\mathcal{U}_{II}(a)[/tex]
    [tex]\mathcal{U}_I^{'}(a)=\mathcal{U}_{II}^{'}(a)[/tex]
    [tex]\mathcal{U}_II(b)=0[/tex]

From here you get a three equations, where the derivatives are taken with respect to K1 and K2 (respectfully). First question: How do I take a derivative of the spherical Bessel and Neumann functions? Should I use the recursion formula and solve for the derivative?

Actually I am just not quite sure where to go from here in terms of finding the ground state energy. If this were a regular potential (two step) barrier, all I would do is eliminate the three constants using the three equations, arriving at a transcendental equation which I would then graph graph each side of the equation separately and find the intersections which represent the energy eigenvalues. Same thing here? Any thoughts???

Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?