1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two tangents with same (X,Y)

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The teacher proposed a problem today during a math session. He gave the function : f(x) = x2-6x+5 - and a point P(4,-6).

Our mission was to find two tangents for the given point. I thought it was easy, just differentiate the function, and insert the differentiate function for a in : y=a*x + b.

2. Relevant equations

function : f(x) = x2-6x+5
    differentiate : f'(x) = 2x-6
    tangent: y= (2x-6)*x + b
    tangent eq: -6= (2x-6)*4 + b

3. The attempt at a solution

Given the last tangent equation, my plan was to find the two b's, where the tangents met the y-axis. But I failed.

Any thoughts?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2
    Your system does not work, in my opinion. in my opinion the prof wants two lines that go thru your 4, -6 point and are TANGENT to the parabola.

So I'd use your differential for the slope, AND use another formula for slope as follows:

m = (Y-(-6))/(X-4) which ALSO equals your slope m = 2X-6.... but we have two unknowns, so for the Y, put in your original equation (X^2-6X+5) in it's place.... wee bit cumberson, but cross multiply, simplify and you end up with a quadritic equation that will give you both X points that ARE tangent to the parabola AND go through your given point.

I think my X values turned out to be 4 + root of 3, and the other was 4 - root of 3.

Good luck
    LarryR : )

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    Yes, that is the same solution our teacher brought. But I just could not figure out, why mine did not work :) I guess it just doesn't work...
  5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

Staff: Mentor

It doesn't work because your function has only one tangent line at any given point on the curve. The point (4, -6) is not on the graph of this function.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook