Two tennis balls and impluse

• Thread starter lch20yy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

two students throw identical tennis balls towards a building at the same speed. one ball strikes the wall, bouncing back at half its original speed. the other ball smashes a window and continues in the same direction at half its original speed. did the two tennis balls experience the same impulse when in contact with the wall and the window? justify your answer using principles of physics

Homework Equations

imoluse=m(△V )

The Attempt at a Solution

i think the balls experienced different impulse, if the ball is going in a postive direction, as it bounces back towards to the negative direction, its ΔV would be different with the ball continuely going in the postive direction.

does my answer make sense

Answers and Replies

PeterO
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

two students throw identical tennis balls towards a building at the same speed. one ball strikes the wall, bouncing back at half its original speed. the other ball smashes a window and continues in the same direction at half its original speed. did the two tennis balls experience the same impulse when in contact with the wall and the window? justify your answer using principles of physics

Homework Equations

imoluse=m(△V )

The Attempt at a Solution

i think the balls experienced different impulse, if the ball is going in a postive direction, as it bounces back towards to the negative direction, its ΔV would be different with the ball continuely going in the postive direction.

does my answer make sense
That makes perfect sense!