1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Thin Lenses

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An optical system consists of two identical lenses; the focal length of each lens is fo (where fo) is positive). The lenses are separted by a distance d. Denote the focal lenths of the lens assembly by f and f'.

a) Show that for any separation of the lenses f = f'

b) Find the separation between lenses that leads to the focal length of the lens assembly being equal to 2fo

2. Relevant equations

thin lens equations, refracting/travelling matrices?, f' = -1/a21

3. The attempt at a solution

a) I did the intuitive approach: a set of rays coming from either end of the 2 lense assembly will experience the same assembly, and hence converge to the same focal lengths (after exiting assembly at either end)

b) I used the matrix method with the matrix for thin lense being (1, 0; -1/fo, 1)
    anyways, after some calculation... I got: d = (3/2)fo (correct?)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2
    Not sure about the matrices but you could also use the formula for the focal length of compound lenses:

[tex]\frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{f_1}+\frac{1}{f_2}-\frac{d}{f_1 f_2}[/tex]

That will get you the same answer that you got for (b), so both methods get you the same answer. So I'd say (b) looks correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook