Two thin rods on the x-axis

• Thread starter acedeno
  • Start date
In summary: You cannot use the same integration variable (l) as the constant of integration. You cannot integrate a constant, so you need to carry the charge (λ) through the integration. You need to express the charge per unit length, λ, in terms of the total charge, Q, and the length L. You need to express the distance (r) in terms of the integration variable (l) and the x coordinate of the point where you're finding E.Then you'll have E = ∫λ(x)dl/r(x,l)^2, and you can integrate with respect to l from l = 0 to l = L.
acedeno

Homework Statement

Two thin rods of length L lie along the x-axis, one between x = a and x = a + L, and the other between
x = –a and x = –a – L. Each rod has positive charge Q distributed uniformly along its length.
a. Calculate the electric field as a function of x produced by the rod on the left hand side
(from –a – L to –a) at points along the positive x-axis.
b. Determine the magnitude of the force that one rod exerts on the other.

Homework Equations

E=∫[dq/4πε_naught*r^2] where dq=λdx for a line of charge

The Attempt at a Solution

Well since for part a, they only want the electric field in the positive x-axis I came up with:

E=∫from -a to -a-L of [λdx/4πε_naught*(-a-L+x)^2

giving me:

E=L/2a+L(2a+2L) when the integral is evaluated from -a to -a-L. - I'm aware I need to multiply my constants back in but for right now, I'm just worried about the integral.

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
acedeno said:
bump
Please read and follow the rules of these Forums. Wait 24 hours before bumping.

Regarding your integral: E=∫from -a to -a-L of [λdx/4πε_naught*(-a-L+x)^2 ,

What does x represent?

You seem to have used x for two different things in the same expression.

x is suppose to represent where you are on the x axis.

-regarding the bump, sorry it won't happen again.

acedeno said:
x is suppose to represent where you are on the x axis.

-regarding the bump, sorry it won't happen again.

But you have (λ dx) in the integral, so in that sense, you're using x as the integration variable.

Use something like x0 (or some variable like u or s), for the place at which you are finding E. You then need to express the distance from x0 to the point x on the rod, over which you are integrating. --- r = x0 - x .

Sorry, I'm not following. The way I see it, when you take all the constants out you are just integrating dx/(-a-L+x)^2

Yes, but that's not what you should be integrating.

(-a-L+x) is the distance between point x, and point (a + L) on the x axis.

What would the integral be if you were finding E at a fixed location, such as at x = 1.357 meter, on the x-axis ?

Okay, I think I know what you mean.

E=∫kdq/r^2 let dq=λdl and r =(a+x), the distance from the end of the rod to a +x value
E=λk/(a+x)^2∫dl -integrating from -a-L to -aE=λk/(a+x)^2[(-a)-(-a-L)]

E=λkL/(a+x)^2

How's that look?

edit: I decided to use k rather than 1 over 4pi epsilon naught

No. r should be the distance between the element of charge, dq, and x. So, r = x - l.

1. What is the concept of "Two thin rods on the x-axis"?

"Two thin rods on the x-axis" is a concept in physics that involves two thin rods placed parallel to each other on the x-axis, a horizontal line that forms part of a coordinate system. These rods are often used to represent forces or vectors in a two-dimensional system.

2. How are the forces or vectors represented by the two thin rods?

The forces or vectors are represented by the two thin rods as arrows with a specific length and direction. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction in which the force is acting.

3. What is the purpose of using two thin rods instead of one?

The purpose of using two thin rods is to show the interaction between two forces or vectors in a two-dimensional system. By placing the rods parallel to each other, the relative magnitude and direction of the forces can be easily compared.

4. What is the difference between a positive and a negative force represented by the two thin rods?

A positive force represented by the two thin rods is one that acts in the same direction as the x-axis, while a negative force acts in the opposite direction. This can be seen by the direction of the arrow on the rod. Positive forces are usually represented by arrows pointing towards the right, while negative forces are represented by arrows pointing towards the left.

5. How can the two thin rods be used to calculate the resultant force?

The two thin rods can be used to calculate the resultant force by using vector addition. This involves adding the two forces represented by the rods using the parallelogram method or the head-to-tail method. The resultant force is represented by the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two forces.