1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Two-thirds between vectors

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    The question is: Use vectors to find the point that lies two-thirds of the way from P to Q.

P: (1,2,5)
    Q:(6,9,5)

I tried finding the distance, then multiplying by 2/3 but obviously that will yield a scaler. Tried multiplying 2/3 by every coordinate then add them? That didn't work. I am sort of lost on such a simple problem :uhh:

Thank you in advance for any attempt made :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2
    Think about a vector that would join the tip of P to the tip of Q.

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    a little more push? lol We learned about tip-to-tail method. no tip-to-tip that i know of

5. Sep 20, 2010 #4
    Well if you can find the vector that joins the tip of P to the tip of Q, then you take two-thirds of that vector, add it to P, and you are two-thirds of the way to the tip of Q.

Tto go from the tip of A to the tip of B, you need the vector B-A. Make sense yet?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  6. Sep 20, 2010 #5
    Yeah, I got it after that last post of mine >_<. Sometimes I'm used to thinking so complex that I forget about just visualizing the concept first lol. Thanks a whole bunch :D

7. Sep 20, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

"visualizing the concept" - whenever possible, visualize the concept by drawing a picture. You're using another half of your brain when you have an image to work with, instead of just the half that deals with logic and equations and such.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook