1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two total internal reflection examples

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    -Behind a glass container with water, there is a candle. The container is paralelopiped - shaped. What is the image that the viewer is going to see, if the eye is set like so, that he watches the candle with an angle greater than the angle of total reflection?
    -Hold a metal spoon over a candle and bring it into a container with water. The spoon won't look burnt. What's the reason?

2. Relevant equations
    None - conceptual questions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    -I am fairly sure that since he watches at an angle greater than the angle of total reflection, he will see the image of the cangle on the surface of the water, rotated 90 degrees. Am I right?
    -I really can't put my mind into this one. I think that it has something to do with the different refraction indices of water and air - but I still don't see how this could affect the coloring - some light rays would still get to the burnt parts - and absorb the same frequencies - so the same color will remain... A little help?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted