1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two towers different heights -- what should Heights be so impact velocity is 3x larger

1. Apr 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (I don't remember the EXACT problem because it was in an exam I took a few days ago but it was something like: If we drop the same object off of two towers, what does the height of Tower2 need to be if we want the object to fall is a velocity 3 times greater than the object falling off of tower1?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I used was the vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad and solved for d. (vf^2-vi^2)/2a = d and if vi = 0 then d=vf^2/2a

so the Height of tower 2 would have to be d=(3*vf^2)/2a, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Close.

The question you are answering is: if the height of tower #1 is d meters, then what height does tower #2 need to be for the mass to reach triple the speed?

4. Apr 16, 2016 #3
    yes when it hits the ground

5. Apr 16, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If vf1 is the velocity of something dropped off Tower 1, then the velocity of something dropped off Tower 2, vf2 = 3 * vf1. That's how you write triple the first speed.

6. Apr 16, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

So, what is the answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted