Two towers different heights -- what should Heights be so impact velocity is 3x larger

Homework Statement

(I don't remember the EXACT problem because it was in an exam I took a few days ago but it was something like: If we drop the same object off of two towers, what does the height of Tower2 need to be if we want the object to fall is a velocity 3 times greater than the object falling off of tower1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I used was the vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad and solved for d. (vf^2-vi^2)/2a = d and if vi = 0 then d=vf^2/2a

so the Height of tower 2 would have to be d=(3*vf^2)/2a, right?

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Close.

The question you are answering is: if the height of tower #1 is d meters, then what height does tower #2 need to be for the mass to reach triple the speed?

Close.

The question you are answering is: if the height of tower #1 is d meters, then what height does tower #2 need to be for the mass to reach triple the speed?
yes when it hits the ground

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

(I don't remember the EXACT problem because it was in an exam I took a few days ago but it was something like: If we drop the same object off of two towers, what does the height of Tower2 need to be if we want the object to fall is a velocity 3 times greater than the object falling off of tower1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I used was the vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad and solved for d. (vf^2-vi^2)/2a = d and if vi = 0 then d=vf^2/2a

so the Height of tower 2 would have to be d=(3*vf^2)/2a, right?
If vf1 is the velocity of something dropped off Tower 1, then the velocity of something dropped off Tower 2, vf2 = 3 * vf1. That's how you write triple the first speed.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor