How far does the bird travel before the trains collide?

• Thread starter lauriecherie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird Trains
In summary: I'm sorry about that. In summary, Laurie cherie's homework statement is that a bird can fly a certain distance before flying back to the first train. The distance is 76.15 km.
lauriecherie
I really thought I could have found this on the search function but hey, here goes!

Homework Statement

Two trains, each having a speed of 26 km/h, are headed at each other on the same straight track. A bird that can fly 60 km/h flies off the front of one train when they are 66 km apart and heads directly for the other train. On reaching the other train it flies directly back to the first train, and so forth. (We have no idea why a bird would behave in this way.) What is the total distance the bird travels before the trains collide (in meters)?

Homework Equations

average velocity=total displacement/total time

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked on this quite a few times, and I first solved for the velocites of the trains. Then I found out when they'd hit collide. My distance came out to be 60,000.00001. Is this correct?

Just a bit of backgroud info on me! I'm a computer engineering student (and a girl!) and I'm having a hard time in calculus II and physics 201 at my school. I go to tutoring and get as much extra help as my schedule allows! I hope to learn a lot from this forum and succeed this semester! Happy to meet all of you!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all too much precision.

None of your other variables are given with that precision.

Second, how many hours until they collide? What is their relative velocities? How far apart is given. So ... how long is that?

lauriecherie: Your current answer is incorrect. You are given the distance between the trains. Can you show your work for how you computed the relative velocity of the two trains? After that, you could use your relevant equation to compute the time when the two trains collide, right?

Well my initial answer was incorrect. To get the correct answer, I took half of 66 km (33 km) and figured out at 26 km/hr how long it would take for each train to reach the collision point. A x-axis really helped me on this one. I drew the collision point as x=0 and one of the trains at -33km and the other at +33 km. So I divided 26 by 33 and got a little over an hour. So if the bird flies at 60 km/hr, I found out how far can it fly in that amount of time it takes before the two trains collide. My correct answer came out to be like 76.15 km. I verified it with someone else's response on this thread, who I guess would up changing his mind and deleting it. He/She had put 76.05 km but mine was different from his cause I did no rounding on my initial quantities. Thanks for all the inputs! I really had over anaylzed this problem! Your input was appreciated greatly!

Nice work. Your answer is correct (although the problem statement asks for the final answer in meters). Also, the unit symbol for hour is spelled h, not hr. See NIST for the correct spelling of any unit symbol.

Yea, that was me lol. I am new to the forums and just found out that you're not allowed to post only answers ;)

1. How do you solve a "Two trains and a bird" problem?

To solve a "Two trains and a bird" problem, you need to first determine the distance between the two trains and the speed of each train. Then, you need to calculate the time it takes for each train to reach the point where the bird is sitting. Finally, you can use the time and distance to calculate the speed of the bird.

2. What is the concept behind "Two trains and a bird" problems?

The concept behind "Two trains and a bird" problems is to test your understanding of distance, time, and speed. These problems usually involve two objects moving at different speeds and a third object that interacts with both of them.

3. How do you apply the formula for distance, time, and speed to "Two trains and a bird" problems?

In "Two trains and a bird" problems, you can use the formula d = rt, where d is the distance, r is the rate or speed, and t is the time. You can also use the formula d = d1 + d2, where d1 and d2 are the distances traveled by the two trains.

4. What are some common variations of "Two trains and a bird" problems?

Some common variations of "Two trains and a bird" problems include changing the speed or direction of one or both trains, adding more than one bird, and adding other objects or obstacles that the trains and birds must navigate around.

5. Are "Two trains and a bird" problems realistic or purely theoretical?

"Two trains and a bird" problems can be both realistic and purely theoretical. In some cases, these problems can be based on real-life scenarios, such as trains traveling on a track. However, they can also be used as a theoretical exercise to test your problem-solving skills and understanding of mathematical concepts.