1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Tricky Problems

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1
    A Tricky Problem

1. If 4.74g of magnesium is reacted with 4.000L of 2.500mol/L hydrochloric acid, calculate the change in temperature for the hydrochloric acid.
    I think the equation is Mg(s) + HCl(l) ------> MgCl(2)(l) + H(2)(g)

I know these two equations will be in use.
    1. Q=mTc
    2. H=Q/n

I suppose I find the mol of magnesium.
    4.74g x 1mol/24.305g
    =0.195mol

That's all I know about this, I don't know the next steps.

Thank You.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2006 #2
    The change in temporature in this case is caused by the change in mol left after and used during the reaction.
    From the ratio 1:2:1:1 you calculate the HCl left. mol_left=given_mol - used_mol, then find the grams of HCl used.
    Use the table given in the textbook you are reading to check for c, reread the chapter to understand Q and also note the starting temperature that you need to compare with I think already stated in the problem itself. dQ=mcdT

4. Mar 9, 2006 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In addition to what Emieno said, you should have been given the relevant enthalpy of reaction (or simply standard change in the energy of the reaction).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?