Two unknown components (RLC) of a circuit

In summary, the question asks for the identification of 2 unknown components in a circuit, with a focus on the phase constant of 50 degrees. The author initially believed it to be an LR circuit, but later found out it was actually an LC circuit, causing confusion and a desire for clarification before the finals.
WhiteTrout

Homework Statement

A brief description of the current condition here; I'm in confusion.

The question states that there are 2 unknown components in a circuit and we are to find it using the given data. The voltage, current and frequency are irrelevant for the time being.
I'm more interested in the phase constant which states the current lags by 50 degrees.

Which points out that one of the component is probably an Inductor.

2. The attempt at a solution
I deduced that the circuit is most likely an LR circuit.
Because I thought that a (lagging) current phase constant of 50 degrees would probably never occur within an LC (or LL but nobody in class attempted that) circuit because they would have been parallel and opposite each other when presented in a phasor diagram.

But the lecturer promptly announced the next day (or from what I heard from others because I just arrived from another class) that it is an LC circuit.

This came as a surprise, and it is actually quite the opposite from what I have gathered from doing tutorials.
I would like to have the confusion cleared up before the finals.

Thank you.

Edit: Sorry if I had used the wrong forum. Please relocate as necessary, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations No equations were provided in the question.The Attempt at a SolutionIt is possible to have an LC circuit with a current phase constant of 50 degrees. This can be achieved if the inductance and capacitance of the components are equal and the resistance is also equal to the impedance of the inductor or the capacitor. This gives the circuit a resonant frequency, allowing the current to lag behind the voltage by 50 degrees. Therefore, it is possible that the circuit is an LC circuit, depending on the values of the components.

What are the components of a RLC circuit?

The RLC circuit contains three main components: a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components work together to create a circuit with both resistance, inductance, and capacitance.

What is the purpose of a RLC circuit?

The purpose of a RLC circuit is to control the flow of electrical current. The resistor limits the flow of current, while the inductor and capacitor store and release energy, respectively. This allows for control and manipulation of the current in the circuit.

How do I calculate the total impedance of a RLC circuit?

To calculate the total impedance in a RLC circuit, you must use the formula Z = √(R² + (XL - XC)²). R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance.

What is the difference between a series and a parallel RLC circuit?

A series RLC circuit has all three components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) connected in a single loop, while a parallel RLC circuit has the components connected in separate branches. In a series circuit, the current through each component is the same, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each component is the same.

How does the frequency of the input voltage affect the behavior of a RLC circuit?

The frequency of the input voltage affects the behavior of a RLC circuit by changing the impedance of the circuit. At the resonant frequency, the impedance is minimized and the circuit will have maximum current. At other frequencies, the impedance will be higher, causing changes in the current and voltage in the circuit.