How can we solve for both T₂ and m in a system with multiple unknowns?

• Thread starter rtareen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary, when solving for unknown tensions and masses in a system in equilibrium, it is important to consider the knot or junction separately from the hanging mass. This is because all of the tensions are acting on the junction, while only one of those tensions is acting on the mass.
rtareen
Homework Statement
For the systems in equilibrium in the figure below, find the unknown tensions and masses
Relevant Equations
ΣF = ma = 0
Here are two questions for my online homework. In part (a) we have to find T₁, T₂, and m.
For part a, I drew a free body diagram and used that ΣFₓ = -30N +T₁cos(60) = 0 To find T₁ = 60N. The software accepted my answer. Now we have to find T₂ and m. We have ΣFᵧ = T₂ + T₁sin(60) + mg = 0. We do not know T₂ and we do not know m. So how can we solve for both?
1582575672724.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be clear about what your force balance equation represents. ΣFy on what, exactly? Since you have the three tensions in there, it must be the force balance on the knot. The knot doesn't "know" anything about m - that's somewhere else.
To get mg into it you need to consider the force balance on the vertical string.

rtareen said:
Homework Statement:: For the systems in equilibrium in the figure below, find the unknown tensions and masses
Relevant Equations:: ΣF = ma = 0

Here are two questions for my online homework. In part (a) we have to find T₁, T₂, and m.
For part a, I drew a free body diagram and used that ΣFₓ = -30N +T₁cos(60) = 0 To find T₁ = 60N. The software accepted my answer. Now we have to find T₂ and m. We have ΣFᵧ = T₂ + T₁sin(60) + mg = 0. We do not know T₂ and we do not know m. So how can we solve for both?View attachment 257619
mg should not be in the vertical force balance on the junction.

Chestermiller said:
mg should not be in the vertical force balance on the junction.
I didnt know we had to consider the junction seperately from the mass. Now I can probably do it myself. Thank you

haruspex said:
You need to be clear about what your force balance equation represents. ΣFy on what, exactly? Since you have the three tensions in there, it must be the force balance on the knot. The knot doesn't "know" anything about m - that's somewhere else.
To get mg into it you need to consider the force balance on the vertical string.
Thank you. I now know to consider the knot separately from the hanging mass.

rtareen said:
I didnt know we had to consider the junction seperately from the mass. Now I can probably do it myself. Thank you
The question is, do you know why?

Chestermiller said:
The question is, do you know why?

I think I do. It is because all of the tensions are actually acting on the junction, not the mass itselfwhile only one of those tensions are acting on the mass. Am I right?

Likes Chestermiller
rtareen said:
I think I do. It is because all of the tensions are actually acting on the junction, not the mass itselfwhile only one of those tensions are acting on the mass. Am I right?
Yes.

Likes rtareen

What is the concept of "Two Unknowns 1 Equation"?

The concept of "Two Unknowns 1 Equation" refers to a mathematical equation that contains two variables or unknown quantities, but only one equation. This means that there is not enough information to solve for both unknowns, and a unique solution cannot be determined.

Can "Two Unknowns 1 Equation" be solved?

No, "Two Unknowns 1 Equation" cannot be solved because there is not enough information to determine a unique solution. Additional equations or information would be needed to solve for both unknowns.

What are some examples of "Two Unknowns 1 Equation"?

An example of "Two Unknowns 1 Equation" is x + y = 10. This equation contains two unknowns, x and y, but only one equation, making it impossible to determine a unique solution. Other examples include 2x + 3y = 12 and 5a - b = 7.

Why is "Two Unknowns 1 Equation" important in mathematics?

"Two Unknowns 1 Equation" is important because it demonstrates the limitations of using a single equation to solve for multiple unknowns. It also highlights the importance of having enough information to determine a unique solution in mathematical equations and problem solving.

How can "Two Unknowns 1 Equation" be used in real life?

"Two Unknowns 1 Equation" can be used in real life situations where there are two unknown variables but only one equation to work with. For example, in financial planning, a person may have two unknown expenses but only one known income, making it difficult to determine a budget. In this case, "Two Unknowns 1 Equation" can be used to represent the situation and highlight the need for more information to accurately solve the problem.