Two Variable Equation Word Problem

In summary, a club has 15 members consisting of seniors and juniors. After seven more seniors and three more juniors join, the total number of members becomes 25. The ratio of juniors to seniors is then 2:3. This means that there are 10 juniors and 15 seniors in the club. The original number of members and the additional seven seniors and three juniors are not relevant to finding the number of juniors in the club.
homegrown898
A club consisting of seniors and juniors has 15 members. After seven more seniors and three more juniors join the club, the ratio of juniors to seniors is 2:3. How many juniors are in the club?

I guess the thing that screws me up is the ratio part. I don't know what to do. I've found a negative number for J but that can't be right. Right now, I think there are 10 juniors in the club but I really don't know how to prove that. I kind of came upon that number accidentally.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are 25 members, 2/5 are junior and 3/5 are senior. Got it?

10 sounds right

put the problem in mathematical terms:
juniors = j , seniors = s
j+s=15.....(1)
3 more juniors and 7 more seniors join.. so we'll have j+3 juniors and s+7 seniors
now the ratio of new j to new s is 2:3
that means :
j+3/s+7 = 2/3......(2)

so now u have 2 equations (1) and (2) with 2 unknowns that u can solve to find out what j equals to

The main difficulty with the original problem information is that there is unneccesary information. All you need is a total of 25 members and the 2:3 ratio of juniors to seniors. The fact that there were originally 15 members and seven added seniors and seven added juniors is extraneous. The only point would be if the question was how many of the original 15 were juniors or seniors.

What is a two variable equation?

A two variable equation is an algebraic equation that contains two variables, usually represented by x and y, and relates the two variables using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

How do you solve a two variable equation word problem?

To solve a two variable equation word problem, you first need to identify the two variables and assign them to x and y. Then, translate the given information into an equation and use algebraic techniques to solve for the two variables.

What are some real-life applications of two variable equations?

Two variable equations are commonly used in real-life situations to model and solve problems involving relationships between two variables. Some examples include calculating the speed and distance of moving objects, determining the cost and quantity of items, and predicting the growth of populations.

What are some common mistakes when solving two variable equations?

Some common mistakes when solving two variable equations include forgetting to distribute coefficients, making errors in simplifying expressions, and neglecting to check the solution in the original equation. It is important to be careful and check your work to avoid these mistakes.

What are some tips for solving two variable equations?

Some tips for solving two variable equations include identifying the two variables, writing out the given information in terms of those variables, using algebraic techniques to solve for the variables, and checking the solution in the original equation. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or create tables to better understand the problem.