Solved: Two Variable Limits Continuity at (0,0)

In summary, the question is asking how to define f(0,0) so that f is continuous at (0,0). The attempt at a solution involves using polar coordinates and the squeeze theorem, but the exact approach is unclear.
misterau

Homework Statement

The real valued function f of two variables is defined by f(x,y) =
tan( (1/2) *(pi) *sqrt( (x^2 + y^2) )/( sqrt( (x^2 + y^2) ) for each (x,y) satisfying 0 < x^2 + y^2 < 1.

How should f(0,0) defined so that f is continuous at (0,0)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure whether the question was asking show the limit exists or doesn't exist? I think asking me to show it exists.
I tried using polar co ordinates
y=r*sin[tex]\theta[/tex] , x=r*cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
=tan( (1/2) * (pi) * r) / r
= 1/cos( (1/2) * (pi) * r ) * sin((1/2) * (pi) * r)/r
= 1 * sin((1/2) * (pi) * r)/r

I got stuck here was trying to use the identity lim->0 sinx/x = 1
I know you can use squeeze theorem to prove limits exist, but I don't really understand how it works for two variables.
In one variable limits if 0 < |x-a|<[tex]\delta[/tex] then |f(x)-L|< [tex]\epsilon[/tex]
but in two variable limits what is |x-a|?

Physics news on Phys.org
since sin(x)/x-> 1, for [itex]sin(\pi r/2)/r, let [/itex]x= (\pi/2)r[itex]. What is r equal to in terms of x? Replace the r in the denominator by that.

What is the definition of a two variable limit?

A two variable limit is the value that a function approaches as two independent variables approach a specific point, often denoted as (x,y) = (a,b).

How is continuity defined for a function with two variables?

A function with two variables is said to be continuous at a specific point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

Can a function be continuous at (0,0) but not have a limit at that point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous at (0,0) but not have a limit at that point. This can occur if the function approaches different values from different directions.

What are the conditions for a function to have a two variable limit at (0,0)?

The function must approach the same value from all directions as (x,y) approaches (0,0). Additionally, the function must be defined and continuous at (0,0).

How can I determine the two variable limit at (0,0) for a given function?

To determine the two variable limit at (0,0), you can use the definition of a limit and evaluate the function as (x,y) approaches (0,0) from various directions, such as along the x-axis and y-axis.