Two Variables Limit: Homework Solution

In summary: However, if you're not familiar with them, then adding and subtracting y and grouping terms appropriately might work too.In summary, the attempted solution for finding the limit of a function when given two values for x and y is to use L'Hopital's theorem and using the limit when approaching (0,2). However, this approach does not always produce the same result as when using other limit theorems.
krozer

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow (0,2)} \dfrac{ysinx}{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to evaluate the function in the given values of x and y

For y=2

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{2sinx}{x}[/tex]

Using L'Hopital

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{2cosx}{1}=2[/tex]

For x=0

[tex]\lim_{y \rightarrow 2} \dfrac{ysin0}{0}[/tex]

I don't know how to solve that. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
But you can't just plug in (0,2) because the function isn't defined there. And if you think the two variable limit exists, you can't prove it by trying different paths.

Since you know that sin(x)/x → 1 as x → 0 and you know y → 2 can you figure out how to use one of the limit theorems here?

krozer said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow (0,2)} \dfrac{ysinx}{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to evaluate the function in the given values of x and y
No, you don't. Where did you get that idea? What you often can do is show that taking the limit from two different ways gives two different results, proving that the limit does not exist but they don't have to be "horizontal" and "vertical". And, of course, that won't prove a limit does exist.

For y=2

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{2sinx}{x}[/tex]

Using L'Hopital

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{2cosx}{1}=2[/tex]

For x=0

[tex]\lim_{y \rightarrow 2} \dfrac{ysin0}{0}[/tex]

I don't know how to solve that. Thanks for your time.

LCKurtz said:
But you can't just plug in (0,2) because the function isn't defined there. And if you think the two variable limit exists, you can't prove it by trying different paths.

Since you know that sin(x)/x → 1 as x → 0 and you know y → 2 can you figure out how to use one of the limit theorems here?

So If I put the limit as

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\lim_{y \rightarrow 2} \dfrac{ysinx}{x}=\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\dfrac{2sinx}{x}=2[/tex]

Since [tex]\lim_{y \rightarrow 2} \dfrac{ysinx}{x}=\dfrac{2sinx}{x}[/tex]

Am I right?

krozer said:
So If I put the limit as

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\lim_{y \rightarrow 2} \dfrac{ysinx}{x}=\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\dfrac{2sinx}{x}=2[/tex]

Since [tex]\lim_{y \rightarrow 2} \dfrac{ysinx}{x}=\dfrac{2sinx}{x}[/tex]

Am I right?

That doesn't prove the limit is 2 along any path, just that one path.

LCKurtz said:
That doesn't prove the limit is 2 along any path, just that one path.

So I only proved it approaching by two rects, if I approach the limit by paraboloids, for example

For [tex]y=x^2[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{x^2sinx}{x}=\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} {xsinx}=0[/tex]

Then I get two different values (the limit is 2 by the rects and is 0 by a paraboloid), so I don't know if now I can say the limit does not exist given that the limit evaluated by two different paths is not the same.

No, you can't approach the point (0,2) on the curve [itex]y= x^2[/itex]! (0, 2) is not on that curve.

Both Halls and I have been telling you that you can't show the limit exists by checking different paths. You haven't addressed my suggestion in post #2 of using the limit theorems. Alternatively you can show the difference between the function and 2 can be made small by estimating

[tex]\left | \frac {y\sin(x)}{x}-2\right|[/tex]
If you try this you might start by adding and subtracting y and grouping terms appropriately.

Personally, I would use the limit theorems...

1. What is a two variables limit?

A two variables limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as two variables approach a specific point on a graph. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as the two variables get closer and closer to the given point.

2. How do you calculate a two variables limit?

To calculate a two variables limit, you must first write out the limit expression. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, or L'Hopital's rule to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit. You may also need to use a graph or a table to help visualize and understand the behavior of the function.

3. Why is understanding two variables limit important?

Understanding two variables limit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of functions in real-world situations. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus, and is used to solve many advanced mathematical problems. Additionally, it is used in fields such as physics and engineering to make predictions and analyze data.

4. What are some common applications of two variables limit?

Two variables limit has many practical applications, such as determining the speed and acceleration of moving objects, predicting population growth, and analyzing the behavior of chemical reactions. It is also used in economics to analyze supply and demand, and in finance to calculate interest rates and investment returns.

5. Are there any limitations to two variables limit?

Yes, there are some limitations to two variables limit. One limitation is that it can only be applied to continuous functions, meaning that the function must be defined and have no gaps in its graph. Additionally, it may not always accurately predict the behavior of a function at a specific point, as there can be unexpected changes or discontinuities. Therefore, it is important to use other methods, such as graphing or numerical analysis, to verify the results of a two variables limit.