1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two vectors have magnitudes A=16 and B=12. find magnitude sum if angle betweenvectors

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    Two vectors A and B have magnitudes A=16 and B=12 units respectively.

A. Find the magnitude of the sum A+B if the angle between the two vectors is 120 degrees.

B. find the angle between the two vectors if the difference A-B has magnitude of 16 units.

Could someone please do a step by step for these two questions? at least the first one.

Thanks very very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    Re: Two vectors have magnitudes A=16 and B=12. find magnitude sum if angle betweenvec

As this is in the homework section, I assume that this is class work. As such, we are more than willing to help, but will not do the work for you.

What equations do you think apply here?

Can you show us your work up to the point that you get stuck? That will let us know how to help you best.

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    Re: Two vectors have magnitudes A=16 and B=12. find magnitude sum if angle betweenvec

It's not actually a homework problem.

I honestly have no idea how to do the problem.

First thing i though of was to draw a triangle with an angle of 120 degrees. Tried to use Pythagorean theorem but then realized it wasn't a right triangle.

so i really have no clue :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook