Calculating Heat Flow Ratio of Two Water Tanks

In summary, the conversation discusses two tanks with water and their temperatures, as well as the heatflow between them and the resulting change in temperature. The formula Q=cA(T1^4-T2^4) is mentioned and the conversation also touches on the use of Celsius and Kelvin units in the formula. The final solution is -16.1, with a reminder to convert all temperatures to Kelvin before using the formula.
5carola5

Homework Statement

There are two tanks with water, there are standing very close to each other. Tank 1 is having a temperature of 0 degrees and tank 2 is having a temperature of 10 degrees. The heatflow between the two is Q1. Then tank two is getting a temperature of 100 degrees. That heatflow we will call Q2. The question is: By what degree will the ratio Q2/Q1 chance?

Homework Equations

I don't know really...

The Attempt at a Solution

So I used Q=cA(T14-T24). c and A are some constants that are the same for both tanks so cA=C. Then I put the temperatures in the formula making it:
Q1=C*104 and Q2=C*1004 Then deviding them to get: 1004/104=1*104 (the constant C disappears). So my answer would be 1*104 And the answer is supposted to be 16, which sounds much more normal to me. But I have no idea how to get here...

Physics news on Phys.org
What unit should you be using for T?

celcius, sorry forgot to say

5carola5 said:
celcius, sorry forgot to say

Is it ok to use Celsius unit in the formula, or does the formula require that you use another unit?

I don't really know extally, can try to do it in Kelvin as the last time I did it in celsius... let's see.

then it becomes: (373^4) / (283^4) = 3,018. That's also not alright, so it must be something else. Might be a total differend formula, I really don't know...

Did you also convert the 0 oC to Kelvin?

aaaah I forgot ^^'
((373^4) - (273^4)) / ((273^4) - (283^4)) = -16,1... Oke thanks a lot ^^" That was pretty stupit of me... But I will not do that wrong again for quite some time :P

thanks again:)

We've all learned that lesson the hard way. :biggrin:

1. How do you calculate the heat flow ratio of two water tanks?

To calculate the heat flow ratio of two water tanks, you need to know the temperature difference between the two tanks, the surface area of the tanks, and the thermal conductivity of the material. The formula for heat flow ratio is Q = (k x A x ΔT)/L, where Q is the heat flow rate, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, ΔT is the temperature difference, and L is the distance between the two tanks.

2. What is the significance of calculating the heat flow ratio of two water tanks?

Calculating the heat flow ratio of two water tanks is important for understanding the rate at which heat is transferred between the tanks. This information can be used to determine the efficiency of the tanks and to make adjustments to improve their performance.

3. Can the heat flow ratio be negative?

No, the heat flow ratio cannot be negative. A negative value would indicate that heat is flowing from the colder tank to the warmer tank, which is not possible according to the laws of thermodynamics.

4. How does the surface area affect the heat flow ratio?

The surface area of the tanks directly affects the heat flow ratio, as it is included in the formula for calculating it. A larger surface area will result in a higher heat flow ratio, as there is more area for heat to be transferred between the tanks.

5. What are the units of the heat flow ratio?

The heat flow ratio is typically measured in units of watts (W) or British thermal units per hour (BTU/hr). However, the units can vary depending on the units used for the other variables in the formula.