1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two water tanks

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two tanks with water, there are standing very close to each other. Tank 1 is having a temperature of 0 degrees and tank 2 is having a temperature of 10 degrees. The heatflow between the two is Q1. Then tank two is getting a temperature of 100 degrees. That heatflow we will call Q2. The question is: By what degree will the ratio Q2/Q1 chance?

2. Relevant equations

I don't know really...

3. The attempt at a solution

So I used Q=cA(T14-T24). c and A are some constants that are the same for both tanks so cA=C. Then I put the temperatures in the formula making it:
    Q1=C*104 and Q2=C*1004 Then deviding them to get: 1004/104=1*104 (the constant C disappears). So my answer would be 1*104 And the answer is supposted to be 16, which sounds much more normal to me. But I have no idea how to get here...

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What unit should you be using for T?

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    celcius, sorry forgot to say

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it ok to use Celsius unit in the formula, or does the formula require that you use another unit?

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    I don't really know extally, can try to do it in Kelvin as the last time I did it in celsius... lets see.

then it becomes: (373^4) / (283^4) = 3,018. That's also not alright, so it must be something else. Might be a total differend formula, I really don't know...

7. Jul 17, 2012 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you also convert the 0 oC to Kelvin?

8. Jul 17, 2012 #7
    aaaah I forgot ^^'
    ((373^4) - (273^4)) / ((273^4) - (283^4)) = -16,1... Oke thanks a lot ^^" That was pretty stupit of me... But I will not do that wrong again for quite some time :P

thanks again:)

9. Jul 17, 2012 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We've all learned that lesson the hard way. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook