1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two years left and I need to transfer(undergrad). Recommendations? (physics/math/ee)

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    So after highschool I had applied to two colleges, Clarkson University and University of Vermont. I ended up going to Clarkson first and, almost dropping out, went to UVM later. I now have 2 years left and am about to transfer again. My GPA is 2.86.

I've spent the last year saving up (will have $13,000 soon) in anticipation of attending SUNY Albany this Spring. Unfortunately due to circumstances outside my control I am looking for alternatives. My ultimate goal is to teach at the college level. I know my GPA is low but if you were to look at my transcript you would see a large variation in grades: I have some As and some Cs. I know, beyond a doubt, that if I put forth the effort I will be fine in terms of GPA from here on out.

My questions are:

Having transfered, my GPA will be dependant on my progress at the new school. Will my first two years matter if I do really well my last two years?

Staying at my current school doesn't seem an option, since it would be more difficult to bring my GPA back up. Does this matter? I mean, if I did really well at UVM, but ended up barely breaking 3.0 GPA wise because of my first two years, would I have a chance of getting into graduate school?

What schools would you recommend? I only speak english, so while foreign schools are an option they would have to be english speaking. I have ~$19,000 to work with from my own accounts; then whatever I can borrow on the side (obviously want to keep that to a minimum). That being said I am primarily interested in a mid range school that I could use to get to the graduate level. Lots of undergrad research is a plus, with friendly professors. As far as specific fields in physics, I like astronomy, bio physics and particle physics.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2
    Disclaimer - Take whatever I'm saying with a big cube of salt. I have not sat on any admissions committee and am just conveying my understanding of the process.

Think of graduate school apps as a job application. If you are the same as the average grad school applicants, then all other things being equal, you will lose out to the higher GPA one. You need to do something that makes you stand out like killing research, great awards (e.g. Goldwater scholarship), etc. and ofcourse good ESSAYS. This last is very important because the essay will be the place where you'll have the opportunity to be a human being to the one doing the selection rather than just a bunch of stats. Such things wont eliminate the GPA problem but will certainly mitigate it to a significant extent depending on your accomplishments.

But unless you don't have something that makes you stand out of the herd, you will suffer because of GPA.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?