Tying knots in rope(s) - tension, weakened strength

In summary, a chemical engineer and physics teacher is looking for a simple explanation on the physics involved in tying knots in rope for their 7th grade science course. They want to include knot-tying because it is a primary livelihood on the small island of Utila, off the coast of Honduras. They have found that many websites claim that knots weaken the rope, but there is no explanation as to why. They are looking for a simple explanation on why some knots are better than others for strength and the concept of weakened strength associated with each knot. The efficiency of different knots in weakening a rope is also mentioned.
trishonutila
Hi all,

Found this forum while looking for some resources for my students...my short question is: does anyone know of a simple explanation of the physics involved in tying knots in rope?

Background is - I am a chemical engineer by degree, but I recently taught high school physics for a few years, and now I am teaching physics as part of a "science" course for 7th graders, so I need to keep it simple. Because I am teaching in Utila, a small island off the coast of Honduras where fishing and sailing have been primary livelihoods for generations, I decided to include knot-tying in with physics to help keep their interest and just in case they decide to go into the traditional jobs.

I have some nice information on tying the knots, but in the course of that search, I found many sites that claimed that each knot "weakens" the rope, but no real explanation as to why that is. I can handle explaining "tension" to the level that my students are at, but I am a little short on why one knot is "better" than another for strength (other than statements made on sites describing the knots) and I am at a loss for the "weakened strength" associated with each knot tied idea. Hence, my question above. Alternately, if someone here has a suggestion for a simple explanation, I would greatly appreciate it. (I searched through some of the threads before I decided to post and found many of your answers to other questions to be exactly that - Thanks!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Admin note: thread moved to General Physics

My guess is that it's related to how much "bend" there is in at the ends of the knot. For radio control gliders, the most common knot used in the fishing line used to launch the models (there's also a long length of latex tubing use to generate tension), is the "uni knot", although it's the worst in terms of "bend", being 180 degrees on the loop end, but 0 degrees on the other end. However the loop end is normally wrapped around a ring or stake, which reduces the "bend".

http://www.fish4fun.com/Lines_to_Tackle.htm

Last edited:
Adel’s Millwrights and Mechanics Guide says:
“ A rope is weakened by knots. In order to form a knot, the rope must be bent, which brings most of the strain on the outside fibers. The overloading breaks the outside fibers, increasing the strain on the fibers below, which later break and soon the entire rope breaks. From experiments, the approximate efficiency of knots, hitches, and splices varies as follows: straight rope, 100%; eye splice over an iron eye, 90%; short splice, 80%; timber hitch anchor bend, 65%; clove hitch running bowline, 60%; overhand knot, 45%.”

The results of how much different knots weaken a rope are available here:
http://blank005.tripod.com/camping/howtoknots.html

1. How does tension affect the strength of a knot?

Tension is a crucial factor in determining the strength of a knot. When a rope is under tension, the knot experiences a force that pulls on its structure. This force can cause the fibers of the rope to shift and rearrange, potentially weakening the knot and making it more prone to slipping or breaking. The amount of tension applied to a knot can greatly impact its overall strength.

2. What factors can weaken the strength of a knot?

Aside from tension, there are several other factors that can weaken the strength of a knot. These include the type and condition of the rope being used, the type of knot being tied, the number of times the rope is wrapped around itself, and the overall quality of the knot tying technique. Additionally, exposure to moisture, heat, or chemicals can also weaken a knot over time.

3. How can I ensure that the knots I tie are strong and secure?

The best way to ensure that your knots are strong and secure is to practice proper knot tying techniques and to choose the appropriate knot for the task at hand. It is also important to use high-quality, well-maintained ropes and to regularly inspect your knots for any signs of wear or weakness. When in doubt, it is always better to err on the side of caution and retie the knot rather than risking failure.

4. Can the strength of a knot be tested?

Yes, the strength of a knot can be tested through various methods, such as a pull test or a load-bearing test. These tests involve applying increasing amounts of force to the knot until it reaches its breaking point. The results of these tests can provide valuable information about the strength and reliability of a particular knot in different scenarios and conditions.

5. Are there any specific knots that are known for their strength and reliability?

Yes, there are several knots that are known for their strength and reliability. Some examples include the figure-eight knot, the bowline knot, and the double fisherman's knot. These knots are commonly used in various industries and recreational activities due to their ability to maintain strength under tension and resist slipping or untying. However, it is important to note that the strength of a knot also depends on the factors mentioned above and proper knot-tying techniques are always essential for ensuring a strong and secure knot.