Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tylenol and Advil

1. Jan 16, 2005 #1
    For a school project, i have to research production of Tylenol and Advil - but i can't find ANYTHING!!!

- What reactions are involved when producing acetaminophen and ibuprofen?
    - What factors affect production of these products?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tylenol is a commercial drug, which has the main ingredient, acetaminophen aka paracetamol. Ibuprofen is, 2-(p-isobutylphenyl)propionic acid. I found the data on this website. Advil is the second commercial drug, with ibuprofen in it as the main ingredient.

So you are looking a way for their synthesis, right?

4. Jan 16, 2005 #3
    Actually, i found out that acetaminophen is the synthesis of acetic anhydride and p-aminophenol. But i'm not sure how ibuprofen can be synthesized. Any ideas?

5. Jan 16, 2005 #4

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have found this, a Friedel-Crafts reaction with acetyl chloride on alkyl benzene at 4-position, then a mystery-two-step reaction for a keto group to convert it into an aldehyde, preparation of an oxime from it, and synthesis of a nitrile from this one was used. The nitrile is hydrolyzed to give the desired product, the carboxylic acid. This is a cue for you, although this is not a cue anymore :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?