1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tylenol and Advil

1. Jan 16, 2005 #1
    For a school project, i have to research production of Tylenol and Advil - but i can't find ANYTHING!!!

- What reactions are involved when producing acetaminophen and ibuprofen?
    - What factors affect production of these products?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tylenol is a commercial drug, which has the main ingredient, acetaminophen aka paracetamol. Ibuprofen is, 2-(p-isobutylphenyl)propionic acid. I found the data on this website. Advil is the second commercial drug, with ibuprofen in it as the main ingredient.

So you are looking a way for their synthesis, right?

4. Jan 16, 2005 #3
    Actually, i found out that acetaminophen is the synthesis of acetic anhydride and p-aminophenol. But i'm not sure how ibuprofen can be synthesized. Any ideas?

5. Jan 16, 2005 #4

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have found this, a Friedel-Crafts reaction with acetyl chloride on alkyl benzene at 4-position, then a mystery-two-step reaction for a keto group to convert it into an aldehyde, preparation of an oxime from it, and synthesis of a nitrile from this one was used. The nitrile is hydrolyzed to give the desired product, the carboxylic acid. This is a cue for you, although this is not a cue anymore :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?