Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Type 1 and type 2 errors?

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    Let's say I'm testing anti-spam software. The number of false positives (aka, friendly messages misidentified as spam, for those who don't know the term) is 40. The number of false negatives (spam messages misidentified as friendly) is also 40. I'm testing 100 messages. How many more messages would I need to test in order to be 99.99% that the null hypothesis can/cannot be rejected?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the link, but I'm not seeing any equation whatsoever that will help. As far as I can see, all the listed equations have to do with means.

5. Jun 13, 2010 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, so what's your null hypothesis? I thought you were to test that the average message is not spam.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  6. Jun 14, 2010 #5
    I just don't see how a sample mean would be relevant. Your understanding of the question is correct.

7. Jun 14, 2010 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Be very specific, please: What is your null hypothesis?

Also, you have told us about 80 messages, what about the other 20?

8. Jun 14, 2010 #7
    Let's say my null hypothesis is that a spam message will be correctly marked as spam. As for the 20 messages, lets say that those are false negatives.

9. Jun 14, 2010 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You already said you had 40 false positives and 40 false negatives out of 100 tests. That makes for a total of 80 out of 100. Those remaining 20 are either true positives or true negatives.

What does the confusion matrix for your test results look like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook