1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Type III civilization

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    i was searching for the exact specifics of a type III civilization

when i came accross this serious news artical

http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/6598.asp

Its about a great explosion which happened approximately 50,000 light-years away
    On Dec 27 2004.

I do recommend reading it

here are some excerts from the news report

"When earth saw the strongest ever flash of light from a short explosion 50,000 light years away, scientists first thought it was a cosmic explosion in the natural way. But now many scientists believe it came from a type III civilization that is trying break the barrier of space and type by using huge amount of energy."

"According to scientists, this was an experiment by a type III civilization trying to break open into the Hyperspace with the help of enormous amount of energy."

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny that they never mention which scientists in particular are making these speculations!

I remember reading about this blast -- it was referred to as a Soft Gamma Ray repeater, and NASA gave this explanation:
    http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/watchtheskies/swift_nsu_0205.html

4. Feb 6, 2006 #3

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The flare was from what is known as a Soft Gamma-Ray Repeater and the object was SGR 1806-20. The physical interpretation of the system is that it is a magnetar -- a young neutron star with an extremely strong magnetic field. The object was (and still is) detected in many different wavebands, even showing a steady pulsation in the X-rays. It was not from a Type III civilization.

EDIT: Ah, MIH beat me to it. :)

5. Feb 6, 2006 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, not bad for an information scientist type . . .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?