1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Type of Course

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am from the UK and initially I was going to study a straight MPHYS course. But this year I have really been enjoying my mathematics lessons as well. So I'm thinking of applying for a MSc course jointly in Mathematics and Physics. I was just wondering if anybody had any opinions either way. I am thinking of persuing a career in physics,which degree would be the most useful?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2

If you want to be a physicist, you basically have to have a PhD. If you just want to work in industry, something related to physics, then the either would be ok I guess.

4. Feb 25, 2006 #3
    I'm in the fourth (final) year of a single honours mathematical physics Msci in the UK - about half maths, half physics. Obviously it'll depend on the syllabus at where you are, or where you apply to. I can only tell you about mine as an example (my uni is a large top10 ranked one) - I haven't done any experimental work at all, and there are parts of physics I've been able to choose not to learn much about - solid state for example - but I've been able to do lots of relativity, and relativity based subjects, and a lot of QM and QFT from a fairly mathematical approach. There has been some, but not always much flexibility in the modules I've been able to take - obviously you need both core maths and physics, particular in early years.
    Maybe think about where you want your career in physics to be, and just look carefully at the syllabuses is all I can say. PM if you want any more details.

5. Feb 26, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I understand that I need to do a higher degree once I've passed by Masters (assuming I do), I was just wondering If anyone had any experiences with either courses or any general opinions.

6. Feb 27, 2006 #5
    look onlie for syyllasbusses.....do u want to be a therreticalphys..or an experimentalist..........

7. Mar 2, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm really interested in the theoretical side, I especially like mathematical proofs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?