Type of Expansions and Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for deriving the formula e^{-r(T-t)} and the concept of Separation of Variables. The participants mention using a Taylor Series expansion and log expansion for deriving the formula, and explain the definition of the derivative. They also clarify that in this case "dt" is the one in the limit.
courtrigrad
Hello all

Could someone show me how we get: [tex] M(t+dt) - M(t) \doteq \frac{dM}{dt}dt + ... [/tex]. I know that you use a Taylor Series expansion, but I need to see how it is done as I am new in this subject. How would you derive the formula [tex] e^{-r(T-t)} [/tex]? Also could someone explain the concept of Seperation of Variables?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I use a log expansion. Is that right?

How about the definition of the derivative??

[tex] \frac{dv}{dt}=:\lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \frac{v(t+\Delta t)-v(t)}{\Delta t} [/tex]

For the second part,where does that exponential come from??

Daniel.

ok I get so we multiply by [tex] dt [/tex] to get the differential [tex] dM [/tex]

Pretty much so.In this case "dt" is the one in the limit (Delta t,when it goes to zero).

Daniel.

1. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is one where the dependent variable and its derivatives appear only in a linear form, meaning they are raised to the first power and are not multiplied together. Nonlinear differential equations, on the other hand, contain higher powers, products, or other nonlinear functions of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

2. What is the purpose of using expansions in solving differential equations?

Expansions are used to approximate solutions to differential equations that cannot be solved analytically. They allow us to break down a complex equation into simpler parts and find approximate solutions that are close enough to the actual solution for practical use.

3. What are some common types of expansions used in solving differential equations?

Some common types of expansions include power series expansions, Fourier series expansions, and Chebyshev expansions. Power series expansions involve representing a function as a sum of powers of the independent variable, while Fourier series expansions use trigonometric functions. Chebyshev expansions use Chebyshev polynomials to approximate a function.

4. How do you determine the accuracy of an expansion solution?

The accuracy of an expansion solution can be determined by comparing it to the actual solution of the differential equation. This can be done by substituting the expansion solution into the original equation and observing the difference between the two sides. The smaller the difference, the more accurate the expansion solution is.

5. Are there any limitations to using expansions in solving differential equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using expansions. Expansions can only provide approximate solutions, so they may not accurately represent the behavior of the actual solution in all cases. Additionally, some differential equations may not have an expansion solution that converges to the true solution. It is important to carefully consider the limitations and accuracy of expansions when using them to solve differential equations.