Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Type of force

1. Jul 29, 2006 #1
    i know there are gravitational and friction force.
    can anyone tell me names of forces other than those?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2006 #2
  4. Jul 29, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are we talking about fundamental forces here? If so there are only four and they account for all interactions currently observed and are as follows; Gravity, Weak Nuclear, Strong Nuclear and Electromagnetic.

5. Jul 29, 2006 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is true, but for the sake of clarity, there's a slight correction to be made. We seldom attrach the word "nuclear" to both the weak and strong interactions. This is because they don't just have to interact with "nuclear" particles. Neutrinos, for example, are not nucleons, and they only interact via the weak interactions (that's why they could pass through the earth very easily). The strong force could possibly be mainly for "nucleons", but they are really generally an interaction for hadrons, which also includes mesons in addition to baryons.

Zz.

6. Jul 29, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could catch:smile: I'll drop the 'nuclear' in future.

7. Jul 29, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know if this counts in the context of the question, but there are also Van der Waals force, electrostatic, torsional, etc.. Those, of course, are offshoots of the main 4.

edit: Never mind torsional, since I suppose that it's just a different way of looking at torque.

8. Jul 29, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's time for the OP to step up to the plate and tell us exactly what (s)he is after.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?