Types of Error when taking an EEG

• Biology
  • Thread starter Master1022
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, some sources of error in an electroencephalogram reading include electrode location error, interference from nearby electrical equipment, and white noise from sensors.
Master1022
Homework Statement
What are the types of error we might encounter when taking an EEG reading?
Relevant Equations
noise
Hi,

Question:
I was recently working on a homework problem that asks us to list the different sources of error in an
electroencephalogram reading and how we deal with these errors.

I was struggling to find sources on the internet, so was hoping to ask whether there are any good sources which I could look at?

My attempt:
From reading on the internet, the main things I found were:
- electrode location error
- interference from nearby electrical equipment
- white noise from sensors

However, I was struggling to find comprehensive lists of other sources of error and/or how these are actually dealt with in practice.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Master1022 said:
- white noise from sensors
Can you elaborate on that one? What part of which sensor? I designed a portable EEG machine many years ago, so I had to deal with a number of noise issues.

Also, a Google search on EEG Pads Errors turns up many good hits.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=eeg+pads+errors

From my experience with EEGs and EKGs, I would add at least these to your list to research and use in your report:

- Artifacts (noise from physical movement of the pads or interconnecting wires)

- Hair gets in the way for EEG pads, depending on how many you are trying to use...

Likes Master1022
berkeman said:
Can you elaborate on that one? What part of which sensor? I designed a portable EEG machine many years ago, so I had to deal with a number of noise issues.

Also, a Google search on EEG Pads Errors turns up many good hits.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=eeg+pads+errors

From my experience with EEGs and EKGs, I would add at least these to your list to research and use in your report:

- Artifacts (noise from physical movement of the pads or interconnecting wires)

- Hair gets in the way for EEG pads, depending on how many you are trying to use...

Thank you very much for your reply @berkeman ! I will look into those.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the difference between random and systematic error in EEG measurements?

Random error in EEG measurements refers to the natural variability in the data that is caused by factors such as external interference or internal fluctuations in brain activity. Systematic error, on the other hand, is a consistent and predictable bias in the data that can be caused by equipment malfunction or improper electrode placement.

2. How can I minimize measurement error when conducting an EEG study?

To minimize measurement error in EEG studies, it is important to properly prepare the participant by ensuring they are relaxed and comfortable, using high-quality equipment, and carefully placing the electrodes on the scalp. Additionally, it is important to follow standardized procedures and protocols to reduce the potential for human error.

3. What are the most common sources of error in EEG recordings?

The most common sources of error in EEG recordings include external interference from electrical sources, movement artifacts, improper electrode placement, and equipment malfunction. Other factors such as participant discomfort or fatigue can also contribute to measurement error.

4. How do I know if my EEG data is reliable?

To determine the reliability of EEG data, it is important to assess the signal-to-noise ratio, which measures the strength of the brain signal compared to the background noise. A higher signal-to-noise ratio indicates more reliable data. It is also important to check for consistency in the data, such as similar patterns across repeated measurements or between different participants.

5. Can error in EEG measurements affect the results of my study?

Yes, error in EEG measurements can significantly impact the results of a study. Random error can lead to inaccurate or inconsistent data, while systematic error can introduce bias and affect the overall conclusions drawn from the data. It is important to minimize and properly account for error in order to ensure the validity and reliability of study findings.