Understanding Induced Maps: Types and Applications

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induced
In summary: I don't know.In summary, there are different types of induced maps depending on the specific context and objects involved. These maps are defined or extended in a way that is natural and satisfies certain properties. Some examples of induced maps include those in homology, homotopy, and vector spaces, but there is no general definition for all induced maps. The concept of tensor product may also play a role in some cases, but it is not a requirement for defining an induced map.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi again, I am trying to get a better grasp of induced maps, and trying to see the
results that are used/assumed in defining these maps.

Until recently, I only knew of one type of induced map, described like this:

We have groups G, G' , with respective subgroups N,N' with ##N \triangleleft G , N'\triangleleft G'##and a homomorphism h:G→ G' . Then this somehow induces a map ##h_*####h_* G/N → G'/N' : h_*([a]_N ):=([h(a)]_N' ) ## , i.e., the coset class of a ( we can show the map is well-defined, i.e., it is independent of the choice of representative ) is sent to the coset class of the image ##h(a)## .

This is how induced maps in , e.g., homology, homotopy are defined, or where these maps come from.

But now I have run into some other induced maps that don't seem to have the same "source".

These are the maps:

1) We're given Abelian groups A,B , G, and a homomorphism ##f: A→ B##

Then this somehow induces a homomorphism ## f_*## with:

##f_*: = f\otimes 1 : A \times G → B \otimes G ## defined by:

## f_*(a,g):= f(a)\otimes g ##2)Same setup, we have Abelian groups A,B,G, a homomorphism ##k: A→B## , then

we get the induced map ##k^*:=Hom(f,1): Hom(B,G)→ Hom(A,G) ## , defined by:

##k^*(\Phi)(a):= \Phi(k(a))## , for ##\Phi## in Hom(B,G), a in A. I suspect the map 2 is just an extension to Abelian groups of the induced map on the duals of vector spaces:

Given a linear map ##L: V→ W ##, where V,W are finite-dimensional vector spaces over the
same field, we get the induced map ## L*: W*→ V* : L*(w*(w)):=w*(L(v) ##

Is that it? Where does the induced map 1) come from? I know both maps are functorial (1 is covariant and 2 is contravariant): are all induced maps functorial?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi again, I am trying to get a better grasp of induced maps, and trying to see the
results that are used/assumed in defining these maps.

Until recently, I only knew of one type of induced map, described like this:

We have groups G, G' , with respective subgroups N,N' with ##N \triangleleft G , N'\triangleleft G'##and a homomorphism h:G→ G' . Then this somehow induces a map ##h_*####h_* G/N → G'/N' : h_*([a]_N ):=([h(a)]_N' ) ## , i.e., the coset class of a ( we can show the map is well-defined, i.e., it is independent of the choice of representative ) is sent to the coset class of the image ##h(a)## .

This is how induced maps in , e.g., homology, homotopy are defined, or where these maps come from.
I think you need ##h(N)\subseteq N'## as well.
But now I have run into some other induced maps that don't seem to have the same "source".

These are the maps:

1) We're given Abelian groups A,B , G, and a homomorphism ##f: A→ B##

Then this somehow induces a homomorphism ## f_*## with:

##f_*: = f\otimes 1 : A \times G → B \otimes G ## defined by:

## f_*(a,g):= f(a)\otimes g ##2)Same setup, we have Abelian groups A,B,G, a homomorphism ##k: A→B## , then

we get the induced map ##k^*:=Hom(f,1): Hom(B,G)→ Hom(A,G) ## , defined by:

##k^*(\Phi)(a):= \Phi(k(a))## , for ##\Phi## in Hom(B,G), a in A.I suspect the map 2 is just an extension to Abelian groups of the induced map on the duals of vector spaces:

Given a linear map ##L: V→ W ##, where V,W are finite-dimensional vector spaces over the
same field, we get the induced map ## L*: W*→ V* : L*(w*(w)):=w*(L(v) ##

Is that it?
Basically.
Where does the induced map 1) come from?
What is ##\otimes## in this context? Certainly no tensor product and equal to ##\times##. In this case, where is the problem. We always can extend a mapping by any direct terms on which we do nothing at all.
I know both maps are functorial (1 is covariant and 2 is contravariant): are all induced maps functorial?
No, Induced isn't a property in itself. It is more like "extends naturally" than something which can be uniquely defined. I searched "induced homomorphism" on nLab and many, many examples showed up, but not a definition.

fresh_42 said:
I think you need ##h(N)\subseteq N'## as well.
Basically.
What is ##\otimes## in this context? Certainly no tensor product and equal to ##\times##. In this case, where is the problem. We always can extend a mapping by any direct terms on which we do nothing at all.
No, Induced isn't a property in itself. It is more like "extends naturally" than something which can be uniquely defined. I searched "induced homomorphism" on nLab and many, many examples showed up, but not a definition.
Here ##\otimes ## is the tensor product of (Abelian, I believe) groups. And I assume the extensions have some special properties we care to extend or define.

fresh_42 said:
As ##\mathbb{Z}-##modules?
I guess, but not sure. I don't know if there is a definiton of tensor product for general groups. EDIT: I was surprised to see that we can even define a tensor product for Chain Complexes in Singular, IIRC, Homology. Edit2: I believe thete isca tensor product for topological spaces without additional structure.

WWGD said:
I guess, but not sure. I don't know if there is a definiton of tensor product for general groups. EDIT: I was surprised to see that we can even define a tensor product for Chain Complexes in Singular, IIRC, Homology. Edit2: I believe thete isca tensor product for topological spaces without additional structure.
Me neither. I have no idea what it should mean in such a case, esp. what would make it different from a direct product? My definition explicitly says modules. On the other hand, the tensor product is defined as the solution of a co-universal mapping problem, and this only requires a covariant and contravariant functor on the product category into Set to set it up. But maybe it cannot be solved in general.

What are the different types of induced maps?

The four main types of induced maps are: homeomorphism, embedding, quotient map, and factor map.

What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is an induced map that is bijective, continuous, and has a continuous inverse. This means that the original space and its image are topologically equivalent.

What is an embedding?

An embedding is an induced map that is one-to-one, continuous, and preserves the topological structure of the original space in its image. This means that the image of the space is homeomorphic to the original space.

What is a quotient map?

A quotient map is an induced map that maps a space onto a quotient space. It preserves the topological structure of the original space, meaning that it can be used to identify points that are topologically equivalent.

What is a factor map?

A factor map is an induced map that maps a space onto a factor space. It preserves the topological structure of the original space, meaning that it can be used to identify points that are topologically equivalent.