Types of jobs while studying for my engineering degree?

In summary, while studying for a Mechanical Engineering degree, you could look into opportunities such as research positions, junior design jobs, product development, operations, supply chain, manufacturing engineering, and other fields such as automotive, aerospace, medical device, and energy industries. You could also consider roles in finance or business analysis if you have a background in accounting, and explore consulting or teaching opportunities based on your experience and skills.
drant22
Aside from typical engineering internships, what other opportunities might I look into while studying for my Mechanical Engineering degree? I am holding down a part time job currently, so the workload can be handled, but I am looking to maybe try to get anything related to the field, but I am not sure of the options I may have.

I know I may be able to get a junior drafting job depending on the requirements from the employer, which I do have a decent amount of experience. I am also located in NYC(Staten Island) so I do have a decent geographic location when it comes to options to work. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I may start looking?

I currently have 90% of my Accounting BS completed and around 65% of my Mech Engineering BS completed, will probably finish both at the same time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aside from typical engineering internships, you could look into research positions at universities or companies. Depending on the requirements from the employer, you may be able to find a junior design job or a position in product development. You can also look into positions in operations, supply chain, or manufacturing engineering. Additionally, you could consider jobs that involve the application of mechanical engineering principles in other fields such as automotive, aerospace, medical device, and energy industries. If you have a background in accounting, you could also explore opportunities in finance or business analysis. Finally, depending on your experience and skills, you could explore consulting or teaching opportunities. Good luck!

1. What types of part-time jobs are available for engineering students?

There are a variety of part-time jobs that are suitable for engineering students. Some common options include working as a lab assistant, tutor, or research assistant. Other options may include working as a teaching assistant, working in a campus IT department, or freelancing as a web or graphic designer.

2. Can I work in the engineering field while studying for my degree?

Yes, it is possible to work in the engineering field while studying for your degree. Many engineering companies offer internships or co-op programs for students. These opportunities allow you to gain hands-on experience in your field of study while also earning money.

3. Is it possible to balance a part-time job with my engineering coursework?

It is possible to balance a part-time job with your engineering coursework, but it may require good time management skills. It is important to prioritize your studies and make sure you have enough time to complete your assignments and prepare for exams. Communication with your employer about your schedule and workload can also help with balancing your job and coursework.

4. Are there any jobs that specifically benefit engineering students?

Yes, there are some jobs that can be particularly beneficial for engineering students. These may include working as a lab assistant, research assistant, or teaching assistant in your field of study. These positions can provide valuable experience and help you develop skills that will benefit you in your engineering career.

5. Can I find remote or online jobs while studying for my engineering degree?

Yes, there are opportunities for remote or online jobs for engineering students. These may include freelance work in fields such as web design or coding, virtual internships, or online tutoring. These options can provide flexibility with your schedule and allow you to work from anywhere with an internet connection.