Can One-Way Glass Be Made With Projected Light?

In summary: Interesting. I've never seen one of those. A couple of the stores I worked in parttime when I was... in high school had one, but it was kind of behind the counter.
madou0016
Hello, I'm wondering if you can inform me about that kind of light which be projected on a glass and it helps us to see it's reflection only for the viewer and not for anyone the other side .
all proposals and methods are welcome.
even if it is necessary for the light to pass on a chemical substance.
thank you cordially
Mehdi from the National School of Marine Sciences in Algeria

Attachments

• received_458804798018007.jpeg
    received_458804798018007.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not up to the light, it's up to the glass. One-way glass has been around for decades.

Likes berkeman and davenn
phinds said:
It's not up to the light, it's up to the glass. One-way glass has been around for decades.
thanks for your answer, but i am looking for a solution for the light.
and One-way glass you can not see the other side

madou0016 said:
thanks for your answer, but i am looking for a solution for the light.
and One-way glass you can not see the other side
? One-way glass does exactly what your picture shows.

phinds said:
? One-way glass does exactly what your picture shows.
Weeeelllll, it does exactly the opposite of what his diagram shows.

With one-way glass, the person in darkness can see the person in the lit room. Whereas the person in the lit room can't see the person in darkness.

madou0016 said:
Hello, I'm wondering if you can inform me about that kind of light which be projected on a glass and it helps us to see it's reflection only for the viewer and not for anyone the other side .
Madou, if you move the light to the opposite side of the glass, without changing anything else, you have your solution.
one way glass.png

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Weeeelllll, it does exactly the opposite of what his diagram shows.
Good catch, Dave. I was ignoring where the light is because I knew the solution couldn't be with the light.

DaveC426913 said:
Madou, if you move the light to the opposite side of the glass, without changing anything else, you have your solution.
thank you for your answer, the final result that I want to get it is like a stained glass just in projecton a light.
if you see what I want!
like this ! but only with light

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-06-07 01-57-19.png
    Screenshot from 2019-06-07 01-57-19.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 404
madou0016 said:
thank you for your answer, the final result that I want to get it is like a stained glass just in projecton a light.
if you see what I want!
like this ! but only with light
This is just tinted glass (not what "stained glass" normally means, but not too different), and the view from the inside is partially obstructed by the glass. Again, the solution is with the glass, not with the light.

Diagram added in post 6, for clarity.

Window tinting?

Bystander said:
Window tinting?
Yes , but only on projecting light

madou0016 said:
Yes , but only on projecting light
I have no idea what you are talking about. Tinted windows are tinted regardless of light, unless you are talking about the kind of light that is used in glasses (spectacles) so that they slowly turn dark when you go out in the sunlight. In either case, the solution is in the glass, not the light and the visibility is the same from both sides

Glass of any kind is no truly ‘one way’. It will let the same fraction through from either direction. Ant one way system relies on the Observer side being dimmer than the place he is looking at. The performance is always better if the Observed Side of the glass has stripes of mirror. This increases the contrast between the bright shiny strips and the dark gaps as seen from the Observed side.

Likes Merlin3189
sophiecentaur said:
Glass of any kind is no truly ‘one way’. It will let the same fraction through from either direction. Ant one way system relies on the Observer side being dimmer than the place he is looking at. The performance is always better if the Observed Side of the glass has stripes of mirror. This increases the contrast between the bright shiny strips and the dark gaps as seen from the Observed side.
Actually, it's not normally done in strips. Here's from wiki:
A one-way mirror has a reflective coating applied in a very thin, sparse layer -- so thin that it's called a half-silvered surface. ... The room in which the glass looks like a mirror is kept very brightly lit, so that there is plenty of light to reflect back from the mirror's surface

phinds said:
Actually, it's not normally done in strips. Here's from wiki:
The simplest example (that was used in shops and offices) used quite wide silvered strips which I suspect was a modified regular mirror. The lowest tech you could imagine and it did the job.
Other technologies (better) are available for Physicists.

Likes Merlin3189
sophiecentaur said:
The simplest example (that was used in shops and offices) used quite wide silvered strips which I suspect was a modified regular mirror. The lowest tech you could imagine and it did the job.
Interesting. I've never seen one of those. A couple of the stores I worked in parttime when I was young had the kind wiki talks about and of course all the cop shows have that kind as well.

phinds said:
Interesting. I've never seen one of those. A couple of the stores I worked in parttime when I was young had the kind wiki talks about and of course all the cop shows have that kind as well.
The strips(iirc) perhaps had a pitch of 15cm. Not too coarse to spot and recognize a customer coming into the shop and, of course, the local glazier could make up a replacement to any size.

EDIT: that's 15mm and not 15cm. Durrr!

Last edited:
Hmm -- what kind of light . . . oh, yes, one or more of the impossible kinds . . .

Merci, Monsieur Magritte.

sysprog said:
Hmm -- what kind of light . . . oh, yes, one or more of the impossible kinds . . .
? What on Earth does that image have to do with this thread?

phinds said:
As with many, the thread has a mind of its own. The agenda was never really declared.

sophiecentaur said:
As with many, the thread has a mind of its own. The agenda was never really declared.
Well, c'est la vie
off topic post small.jpg

Likes Spinnor, davenn and sophiecentaur
phinds said:
What does the "kind of light" have to do with the transparencies and reflectivities of a window pane? The image was by me intended as a reductio ad absurdum in support of the position already expressed by you; it's a fantasy image in which light behaves inconsistently in a manner depending on viewer attention viewpoint. How can it be daytime in the sky while it's night-time on the ground in what is otherwise approximately the same location?

Likes phinds
Please, let's try to focus on helping the OP.

anorlunda said:
Please, let's try to focus on helping the OP.
Thanks for the gentle tempering. I think the OP was satisfied with the responses, and I think that the response of @DaveE was especially informative and on-point, as it pointed to something that elucidates principles which should adequately address the inquiry. For my part I'll try to contain any over-indulgence toward which I might over-obtend.

I have a question for the OP for clarification of the end goal:

It is necessary that the light be where it is (i.e. on the "I can see" side of the glass), or is that your preconception of how it would work?

In other words, eliminate all the constraints you can , and just tell us only what result you want to achieve.

Likes sysprog and Bystander
Have you seen the clever ads in eg bus windows and rear of taxis where the bold external ad has a grid of small holes ? Back of ad is a neutral gray, does not catch the eye, allows 'legal' visibility outbound. The bold exterior does so catch the eye, so blocks view in-bound.

Turned about, this could work for OP...

PS: check out 'Peppers Ghost' illusion and its kin...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper's_ghost

• Informative
Likes sysprog and anorlunda
Nik_2213 said:
Have you seen the clever ads in eg bus windows and rear of taxis where the bold external ad has a grid of small holes ? Back of ad is a neutral gray, does not catch the eye, allows 'legal' visibility outbound. The bold exterior does so catch the eye, so blocks view in-bound.

Turned about, this could work for OP...
Except it operates on the same principle as the one-way glass solution we've been describing.
It requires that the blocking side be well-lit, and the see-through side be in reduced light.

Likes sysprog
sysprog said:
over-obtend.
Now that's a word we don't often come across. Literacy is not yet dead on PF.
More please. :smile:

Likes sysprog
sophiecentaur said:
sysprog said:
over-obtend.
I have to confess to my being somewhat of an inconflagrator in that regard. :oops:

Basketball squabbler's lament:
I was set; you were charging. You were intruding; I was merely obtruding obtendatorily against your inrighteous incursion. :oldconfused:

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
I am totally discomknockerated by that.

Likes Klystron
sophiecentaur said:
Just for fun: the word 'surgery' is derived from 'chirurgery' (i.e. doing/practice by application of hands).

. . . as in chiropractor. Etc etc

Likes sysprog
Measure the length between the person (A)
( wants to see) and glass. It would be a tinted glass at the measurement somewhere in th middle of darkest and brightest. Depending on how far person A is from the glass.

Simplest way I can put it. Always better way

<h2>1. How does one-way glass work with projected light?</h2><p>One-way glass, also known as a two-way mirror, works by reflecting light on one side and allowing light to pass through on the other side. When using projected light, the side with the projector will appear as a reflective surface while the other side will appear transparent.</p><h2>2. Can any type of light be used for one-way glass?</h2><p>Yes, any type of light can be used for one-way glass as long as there is a significant difference in brightness between the two sides. This allows for the reflection and transmission of light to be easily distinguishable.</p><h2>3. Is one-way glass with projected light as effective as traditional one-way glass?</h2><p>Yes, one-way glass with projected light can be just as effective as traditional one-way glass. However, it may be more susceptible to external factors such as ambient light and the angle of the projector.</p><h2>4. Can one-way glass with projected light be used for security purposes?</h2><p>Yes, one-way glass with projected light can be used for security purposes as it can create the illusion of a reflective surface while allowing for surveillance from the other side. However, it may not be as effective as traditional one-way glass for security purposes.</p><h2>5. Are there any limitations to using one-way glass with projected light?</h2><p>One limitation is that the angle of the projector must be carefully considered in order to achieve the desired effect. Additionally, external factors such as ambient light and the type of projected image can also affect the effectiveness of one-way glass with projected light.</p>

1. How does one-way glass work with projected light?

One-way glass, also known as a two-way mirror, works by reflecting light on one side and allowing light to pass through on the other side. When using projected light, the side with the projector will appear as a reflective surface while the other side will appear transparent.

2. Can any type of light be used for one-way glass?

Yes, any type of light can be used for one-way glass as long as there is a significant difference in brightness between the two sides. This allows for the reflection and transmission of light to be easily distinguishable.

3. Is one-way glass with projected light as effective as traditional one-way glass?

Yes, one-way glass with projected light can be just as effective as traditional one-way glass. However, it may be more susceptible to external factors such as ambient light and the angle of the projector.

4. Can one-way glass with projected light be used for security purposes?

Yes, one-way glass with projected light can be used for security purposes as it can create the illusion of a reflective surface while allowing for surveillance from the other side. However, it may not be as effective as traditional one-way glass for security purposes.

5. Are there any limitations to using one-way glass with projected light?

One limitation is that the angle of the projector must be carefully considered in order to achieve the desired effect. Additionally, external factors such as ambient light and the type of projected image can also affect the effectiveness of one-way glass with projected light.