1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Types of physics Grad programs?

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    For example there is geophysics, space physics, biophysics, medical physics.
    Are there any other physics grad programs besides pure physics?
    Just trying to look at all the options.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2
    Optics, Photonics, Condensed matter, High energy particle, materials, medical, radiation/nuclear, computational, plasma, astro, ... off the top of my head.

There are many different fields.

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3
    ok yes, but for all of those don't you have to enroll in standard physics grad programs and then specialize in those. Like when you go to grad school for geophysics, you just study geophysics.

5. Apr 29, 2012 #4
    Ah, I see what you mean.

In that case, Optics and Photonics is the only one I know off hand that you did not list.

6. Apr 29, 2012 #5
    so I can go to grad school and just study optics

7. Apr 29, 2012 #6

wukunlin

Gold Member

afaik, it depends on the policy of the university. They are probably dependent on the field of potential supervisors in the department. Whether they decide to create a name for each specialization depends on the history and administration of the department.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook