Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Typesetting Problems

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    Hey,

I'm trying to learn how to use LaTeX and while I think it's easy how to form equations and symbols, the thing I find most difficult is laying things out how I'd prefer.

I wanted it to look like this but couldn't work out how to do it, if anybody has any tips, examples, tutorials or book recommendations, please post them.

[​IMG]

BTW, the vertical line is not supposed to be there, please ignore it.

Thanks in Advance
    Tom

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2005 #2
    Assuming you are doing this in a .tex file (not on a forum), the code would look like this:

$\begin{enumerate}\item\begin{enumerate}\item Type what you want here for part 1a.\item 1b goes here...\end{enumerate}\item Now you're on 2\begin{enumerate}\item 2a is here\end{enumerate}\end{enumerate}$

4. Sep 22, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the reply, what you posted enabled me to be able to do a lot but it's not my most preferred layout, is this possible?

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4580/example7kf.jpg

The lines just show how I would prefer it to be aligned. In particular I would want the equation to start on the line of the item.

My code is:
    \begin{enumerate}
    \item $ z_1 = 1 + i \\
    z_2 = 2 - 3i \\
    z_3 = 4 + 4i $

\item[i.]
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    z_1 + z_2 + z_3 &=& (1 + i) + (2 - 3i) + (4 + 4i) \\
    &=& 7 + 2i
    \end{eqnarray*}

\item[ii.]
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    2z_1 + 4z_3 &=& 2(1 + i) + 4(4 + 4i) \\
    &=& 2 + 2i + 16 + 16i \\
    &=& 18 + 18i
    \end{eqnarray*}

\item[iii.]
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    z_3 - z_1 &=& (4 + 4i) - (1 + i) \\
    &=& 3 + 3i
    \end{eqnarray*}

\end{enumerate}

Which I think is quite inefficient (too much typing per equation, I don't mean the symbols, the whole formatting of each equation, maybe this is just what LaTeX is like) and not to my liking.

Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks in Advance
    Tom

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?