Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Typical Americans

1. Jun 11, 2003 #1
    Let's list stereotypes that the rest of the world ignorantly perceives Americans as having....

I'll start.

All Americans want to kill people who practice the Islamic religion so that they can get rich off of oil.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2003 #2
    we all sit down and watch crappy TV shows every night like American Idol, or Survivor.

we all drink beer and are very fat. (generally this it true, though)
  4. Jun 11, 2003 #3
    Your ALL stupid!
  5. Jun 11, 2003 #4
    Is that proper Queen's English you're speaking?
  6. Jun 11, 2003 #5
    Ha good spot! its not the proper queens english but all the way through secondary school and college i have been able to get away with it, without any teachers telling me im wrong so you're correct and i apolagise, i blame the English education system!
  7. Jun 12, 2003 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, my list:

- overweight
    - drive HUGE cars
    - spend a lot of time on their hair
    - spend a lot of time on their makeup
    - get their breakfast from fast food chains
    - not so fashionable (can be a good thing, europeans all have been walking around in fire-truck red pants for the past two years, although I think that red is starting to come if fashion here too)

That's about the things I had in mind before coming here.. they turned out to be true.

How to recognize a european: wears a red, thight pant; lots of hairgel; likes to drink sour milk and pays $0.10 to go to the bathroom at mac donalds :P
  8. Jun 12, 2003 #7
    All Americans speak with Texas accents.

All Americans are rude, obnoxious, self centered, spoiled, soft and weak. (Everyone should know that this is only true of Californians :smile: ).

All Americans are rich. I'm here to tell you that one's not true! (I often wonder who is more rich, the one who has nothing and is supported by the government, or the one who has everything they want, but owes the bank for everything he or she has?)
  9. Jun 12, 2003 #8
    We all have guns.

Pretty much all of the French cliches sans the sucking at war part. French, pfffft... "Look the Germans are coming! Quick set up a sympathetic government and take the oppertunity to oppress more Jews!"
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2003
  10. Jun 12, 2003 #9
    Hmm... more insults. But why?

I am not overweight.

I drive an old Volvo 740 Wagon. I suppose you could say that it's huge compared to compact cars... but it's European so whose fault is that?

I spend no time on my hair. I just let it grow naturally.

I don't wear makeup.

I don't eat breakfast... actually, unlike Europeans, most Americans just skip breakfast.... I guess we're too busy getting things done.

Maybe I'm not so fashionable.... I usually wear Levis with a ringer t-shirt or a baseball shirt, and a pair of Earth shoes. Is this really a problem though?

11. Jun 12, 2003 #10
    breakfast is actually good for you because it provides you with the energy required to do things well for the rest of the day, maybe thats why you americans are supposed to be so stupid, you skip breakfast because of that you do really stupid things that no breakfast eating european would ever do.

remember these are only stereotypes of americans so try not to take them too personally.
  12. Jun 12, 2003 #11
    What do you eat in England for breakfast? Greasy eggs, greasy bacon, greasy pork 'n beans.... Yeah... that's real brain food.

13. Jun 12, 2003 #12
    What do you eat in america? Extra large Big Macs, extra large fries? or do you just order 1 of everything that they have? you titled this thread asking for a list of stereotypes that the rest of the world ignorantly perceives the americans to have, its only a stereotype so why get so defensive about such things?
  14. Jun 12, 2003 #13

Staff: Mentor

Too damn prosperous (bastards).
  15. Jun 12, 2003 #14

i take this personally.
  16. Jun 12, 2003 #15
    heres one:

-not enough americans are bothered about what the rest of the world thinks of em.
  17. Jun 12, 2003 #16
    Maximus, I hope you are kidding, or we can add "Lack sense of humor" to the list.

I certainly do not believe that that description resembles you or most Californians in any way.
  18. Jun 12, 2003 #17

Science Advisor

The one that baffles me the most is the idea that Americans are more self-centered than other peoples. No nation on Earth spends as much time, money and effort to help people from other countries as the U.S. Whenever a major disaster strikes another nation, America rushes in with rescue workers, food, money, medical assistance etc., and yet we are seen by the rest of the world as greedy selfish people concerned with nothing but our own personal gains. Frequently, the U.S. is accused of conducting humanitarian aid only for some selfish motive. I have often wondered; is this a case of projection? Perhaps those who make these accusations are merely revealing their own inability to comprehend the idea of doing something for someone else simply because it is the right thing to do.

But then I have to wonder if my perceptions of what other countries think of the U.S. are based on my own inacurate steryotypes about other countries?!
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2003
  19. Jun 12, 2003 #18
    ugh, how about...

Seem to believe proper etiquette calls for their left hand to remain off the table and on their lap while dining formally.
  20. Jun 12, 2003 #19

Science Advisor

Welp, give ya some truths about americans.

We (most) skip breakfast. We're to busy.

We still perform are tasks quite effectively.

We are constantly setting records, raising the bar.

We (very few on this one) drive better.

I do think alot of people in america are ignorant. But I imagine that goes for all over the world.

Oh ya, whens the last time you seen a person who could eat breakfast, comb her hair, apply make up, change clothes, and talk on the cell phone, while driving?

Now thats multitasking.

Oh ya, and who cut the first backflip on a dirtbike (motorcycle)?

An american.

And I'm not overweight, its body armor for all the crazy stuff I do because the greese in the fries at Mc donalds makes me want to do crazy things.
  21. Jun 13, 2003 #20
    heh..one argument against that is that you have the money to spend...

your financial contribution may be the largest, but in terms of general assistance there are many, many other countrys that are equaly as helpful, if not more than america.

Take australia for example, we have a defence force...of only a few thousand perosnal. Yet half of them are currently peace keeping in east timor. Then there is not to mention the sheer cost of us to do that compared to that of the US.

What america does for people is damn nice, but when you look at it generaly there are allot of countrys risking and sacraficing allot more than the US is.

and for the main part, I really don't know anything about america that hasnt come from an opiniative document - ie an over emotional reports comments. So i really have no main idears about america. I do however have a friend in texas - and from hearing storys from that part, america(texas) is waaayy different, and allot less technological as most other parts of the world.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?