Can charge induction occur in covalent solids?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of inducing charge in covalent solids through rubbing with a glass rod, specifically focusing on sand and zeolite. The concept of network covalent bonding and the use of Van de Graaff generators are also mentioned. One participant shows confusion and asks for clarification, while the other expresses surprise and asks for more specific information.
soumyajitnag
can covalent solids like sand,zeolite be induced with charge...

Physics news on Phys.org
what...

soumyajitnag said:
what...
what!
You'll have to be specific.

i'm specific with covalent solids

soumyajitnag said:
i'm specific with covalent solids
I'm glad someone is ... but I answered your question and you responded incoherently.
Was the answer really so surprising? Do you not understand it? Was there something wrong?
Or was the answer so great that you just had to type out an orgasmic "whaaaaaat..."?

I don't see how any of these could apply so you will have to tell me if you want to be clear.

1. What is typical charge induction?

Typical charge induction is a phenomenon in which an electrically charged object induces a charge on a nearby object without direct contact.

2. How does typical charge induction work?

When a charged object is brought near a neutral object, the charged particles in the neutral object are attracted to the opposite charge of the charged object. This results in a separation of charges, with one side of the neutral object becoming positively charged and the other side becoming negatively charged.

3. What are some examples of typical charge induction?

Some examples of typical charge induction include rubbing a balloon on hair to make it stick to a wall, lightning strikes, and the operation of a Van de Graaff generator.

4. What is the difference between typical charge induction and conduction?

Charge induction involves the movement of charged particles without direct contact, while conduction involves the transfer of charge through direct contact between objects.

5. How is typical charge induction used in technology?

Typical charge induction is used in technologies such as capacitive touchscreens, which use charge induction to detect the touch of a finger on a screen. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators, which use charge induction to remove particles from air or gas streams.