1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Typical projectile problem

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a projectile which is launched at point "o" and land at "B".It was thrown with 20m/s with angle of 53 degree.Take g=10 m/s^2 sin theta=0.8 and cos theta=0.6
    Find the time at which magnitude of x component of velocity of projectile is twice the magnitude of y component of velocity.
    upload_2015-4-16_16-2-5.png
    2. Relevant equations
    v sub x =u sub x +a sub x t
    u sub x=initial velocity in x-direction i.e u cos theta =16 m/s
    v sub x =velocity in x direction at time t.
    v sub y =velocity in y direction at time t
    v sub y =u sin theta +(- 10 t)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    v sub x=2 (u sin theta +(- 10 t)
    but v sub x=u cos theta (as acceleration in x i.e horizontal direction is zero.
    so,u cos theta =2 (u sin theta - 10 t)
    putting given values give
    t=1 sec.
    But in book two answer are given
    t=1 sec
    and t=2.2 sec.
    How I can get t=2.2 s ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2015 #2
    Actually there would be two cases when horizontal velocity would be 2 times of vertical velocity as shown in your attempt.
    Consider the case when projectile reaches highest point, calculate the time for it.
    Then see the additional time where once again the horizontal vel. would be equal to 2 times the ver. Vel.

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

You have to look at the return path, so try the negative.

5. Apr 16, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Find out how much time it takes for the ball to reach the top of the parabola and start falling back to earth.

In your equation:

vx = 2[u sin (θ) ± 10t],

you picked the negative sign and worked out t. What if you then picked the positive sign and solved this equation? What value of t would you get then?

6. Apr 16, 2015 #5
    Why?acceleration due to gravity is always pointing downward and I have chosen downward direction to be negative.

7. Apr 16, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, then why did you write the equation with ± ? o_O

The first comment still applies. After the ball reaches its maximum height and starts falling again, there will be another point where the horizontal velocity is twice the verical velocity. :wink:

8. Apr 16, 2015 #7
    No.I have not.I was just intended to write v=u+at as a is negative,it became v=u +(-a)t

9. Apr 16, 2015 #8
    I got your point.As there is symmetry ,there will be another point where the horizontal velocity is twice the vertical velocity.Thanks .:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted