1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Typical speed

1. Jan 25, 2008 #1
    What is a typical ("maximum") non-relativistic speed ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2008 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

You mean, before the effects of relativity become significant? I guess it depends how much error you're willing to accept in the Newtonian calculation. If you give a specific example of a case where relativity's prediction about something would be different from the Newtonian prediction, someone can give you the amount the two predictions would be different as a function of speed.

4. Jan 25, 2008 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

With no additional information about the error tolerance or the exact application, I would would use .14c as a general cutoff. That gives you a 1% time dilation.

5. Jan 26, 2008 #4
    Electrons in a metal wire travel at a few mm/s...
    Edit: ...and you know that magnetic field that current generate is due to a relativistic effect of electric field.

6. Jan 26, 2008 #5
    Well, I'm limited to 55 mph where I live, but I confess that I sometimes exceed that limit ... :wink:

7. Jan 26, 2008 #6
    So, be careful not to be electrically charged, or you have to say you are going at relativistic speeds :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?