Maximum Non-Relativistic Speed

In summary, the typical non-relativistic speed is around a few mm/s for electrons in a metal wire, and up to 55 mph for humans. However, when considering the effects of relativity, the maximum non-relativistic speed can be increased to 0.14c, resulting in a 1% time dilation. The magnetic fields generated by current are also a result of this relativistic effect of electric fields. It is important to be mindful of any electrical charges while exceeding the speed limit, as this can result in traveling at relativistic speeds.
touqra
What is a typical ("maximum") non-relativistic speed ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean, before the effects of relativity become significant? I guess it depends how much error you're willing to accept in the Newtonian calculation. If you give a specific example of a case where relativity's prediction about something would be different from the Newtonian prediction, someone can give you the amount the two predictions would be different as a function of speed.

With no additional information about the error tolerance or the exact application, I would would use .14c as a general cutoff. That gives you a 1% time dilation.

touqra said:
What is a typical ("maximum") non-relativistic speed ?
Electrons in a metal wire travel at a few mm/s...
Edit: ...and you know that magnetic field that current generate is due to a relativistic effect of electric field.

Well, I'm limited to 55 mph where I live, but I confess that I sometimes exceed that limit ... :wink:

belliott4488 said:
Well, I'm limited to 55 mph where I live, but I confess that I sometimes exceed that limit ... :wink:
So, be careful not to be electrically charged, or you have to say you are going at relativistic speeds :wink:

1. What is the maximum non-relativistic speed?

The maximum non-relativistic speed refers to the highest speed that an object can attain without entering the realm of special relativity. It is commonly known as the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How was the maximum non-relativistic speed determined?

The speed of light in a vacuum was first determined by physicist Ole Rømer in the 17th century using observations of the moons of Jupiter. Later, it was confirmed and refined through numerous experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment.

3. Does the maximum non-relativistic speed apply to all objects?

Yes, the maximum non-relativistic speed applies to all objects with rest mass. This includes particles such as electrons, atoms, and even larger objects like cars and airplanes. However, massless particles such as photons can travel at the speed of light in a vacuum.

4. Can anything travel faster than the maximum non-relativistic speed?

According to the theory of special relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to travel at or exceed the speed of light in a vacuum. However, some theories propose the existence of particles called tachyons that can travel faster than light, but these are still hypothetical and have not been observed.

5. How does the maximum non-relativistic speed affect time and space?

As an object approaches the maximum non-relativistic speed, it experiences time dilation, meaning that time moves slower for the object compared to a stationary observer. Additionally, objects traveling at high speeds will also experience length contraction, where their length in the direction of motion appears shorter to an outside observer. These effects are a fundamental part of the theory of special relativity.