Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tyre Balancing algortihm

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    HI,

I'm working on a tyre balancing project. I have the obvious lvdt (diplacement sensor) and the encoder for position. After much research, I've come a little stuck. Does any1 know how to work out the position of the unbalance in the tyre, and the relatioship between the vibration and amount of unbalance?

Help would be much appreciated

GreyLab

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2
    Part of the fun of doing projects like these is doing the research, at least for me. Why not take a balanced tyre, add a weight to unbalance it and determine the phase of the point of maximum displacement of the LVDT versus the weight?

4. May 18, 2010 #3
    thanks for the response. Access to the machine is a bit limited as it is running on a line almost 24/7. Hence why I'm trying to see how much theoretical knowledge i can gain. I've spent masses of time reading documents on tyre balancing, but there's little thats given much detail unfortunately. Was hoping someone could point me in the direction of good resources and an idea on the mathematics

5. May 18, 2010 #4
    encoder, one pulse per revolution to start acquisition
    x:=N samples with frequency Fs, (N/Fs - several whole periods)
    X:=Fourier transform (x)
    k:=60/RPM*N/Fs
    unbalance:=abs(X[k]) * [tex]\epsilon[/tex]
    position:=argument(X[k])

6. Jul 18, 2010 #5
    Hi, you can find a good introduction to the theory of rotor balancing here: "www.freestudy.co.uk/dynamics/balancing.pdf"[/URL]

Good luck

[quote="GreyLab, post: 2722241"]thanks for the response. Access to the machine is a bit limited as it is running on a line almost 24/7. Hence why I'm trying to see how much theoretical knowledge i can gain. I've spent masses of time reading documents on tyre balancing, but there's little thats given much detail unfortunately. Was hoping someone could point me in the direction of good resources and an idea on the mathematics[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  7. Jan 20, 2012 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook